MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wedding in December

My sister just informed us that her and her boyfriend are getting married in December. No offense to anyone out there that had a Christmas-time wedding, but I have always had the opinion that if you schedule it around that time, you may not want a whole lot of people coming, simply because of the cost and time limitations.

To put it in perspective, we announced ours 1 year ahead of time. I'm a planner and I need time!

Don't get me wrong, I am so happy for her. They have had a long-distance (IN-AK) relationship for the last year and she is depressed everytime he leaves. But they have to realize, that is not a great time of year for many people, especially when you have to drive 9 hrs to get there. Not to mention, I work in retail and those weeks are blacked out and the same for DH, except he works in insurance.

So, I now have to go beg my boss to make an exception (which won't happen) and when that doesn't work out we will have to leave as soon as I get off on the 29th, drive 9 hrs, go to the wedding on my day off, drive back so I can be home in time to go to work on the 31st.

She is trying to schedule it around my work schedule, which is nice, but I still can't get past the frustration. Because in her fiance's words, "Everyone has Christmas time off" Ugh. Not retail or insurance businesses!:tapfoot:

Oh yeah, and Grandma may, or may not be going through radiation, so there's that too.

To top it all off, this means we will be skipping the annual visits to DH's side of the family (Grandparents), of which I have constantly received guilt trips because of my last work schedule! :misc-smiley-231:

I am SO trying to brush it off and just be happy for her, which is a huge step for me because I never really liked the guy... I'm getting better now though. lol

Thanks for reading, I just had to vent!

LOL Gonna come up with a big GHB list, since it's a LONG drive (which means lots of opportunity for actually needing one)

Edited by Nichole

I empathize with you :hug3: My brother got married 4 days before Christmas and it was very difficult for a lot of people on our side of the family. His wife's side didn't mind at all because they don't celebrate holidays, but for the rest of us, it was tough. As you mention there is the more difficult time getting days off at work for many people, then the added expense of wedding attire, gifts, etc. in addition to the usual Christmas expenses.

Your grandma and the impending guilt trips from your husband's family just add to it :hug3:

Edited by lumabean

OK I'll confess I got married December 21 :santa:

Not because I wanted that date. It was because of how my vacation time worked out.

It was not a Christmas themed wedding. It was a new church and they did not decorate that Christmas.

Some people didn't make because it was at Christmas and I was OK with that.

The night before I knew we would have to cancel the wedding. There was a HUGE snow storm snow-7522.gif

By the next day it had stopped snowing and the roads were plowed.

One of those bright crystal clear days where the snow was all sparkly and beautiful.

Oh and very very cold.:frozen:

Dh had to be back to work the day after Christmas so we did not go far for our honeymoon.

We got back late Christmas eve. Christmas day we just sat there realizing we had forgotten Christmas.:Blushing:

Dec 21st. here too!

We sort of had to get married rather quickly (NO! Not that reason!) Husband was about to be drafted and had to go for his physical on Dec. 12th. and passed, so we wanted to get married before he had to leave on Feb. 7th. This was during Viet Nam though so it wasn't that unusual waaaay back then. On the other hand, no one that we invited had to come over 10 miles and the snow held off.

I'm sure they have a good reason (in their minds) and just don't want to wait any longer.

If someone couldn't make it we understood. They knew where to send the prezzies. -_-

Still makes it hard on you though. :hug3:

Gees, I can remember those dates 40 some odd years ago and can't remember what I had for supper last night. His recruiter was Robert Berry :rolleyes: