MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/dining/cola-syrup-recipe.html?_r=4&partner=rss&emc=rss

I haven't tried this yet. I don't have all the ingredients, but I'm sure gonna!

I think instead of seltzer water I'll use baking soda and vitamin c powder to make it fizz and of course plain water.

If you can use dried ingredients instead of fresh, you can store them for TEO, when you can't get a soda for love or money. In the meantime, you can make it yourself and not use HFCS and you can make it less sweet if you like. Most soda is gaggy sweet to me.

I am going to have to try this, my husband drinks Coke day and night. he doesn't drink coffee or tea, just Coke (well sometimes he will add in some of the single serve kool-aid packets in to some slushy water).

I never knew you could use water and baking soda and vitamin C added to water to make it fizz - I am going to jot that down too, seems a lot less expensive than seltzer (it's about $1.89 for a small bottle last time I bought it).

• 2 weeks later...

I use dried, chopped, ginger root and make a strong tea from it. Let it cool and strain then add sugar to taste. Dilute it till you like the flavor then add 1/2 tsp vit C powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda per pint and serve over ice. You can use a little lemon juice instead of, or in addition to, the vit c. I like getting my vit c this way though.

• 2 weeks later...