MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Amish Country Shopping

Jeepers

After I swore I wasn't going to Amish country anymore until winter because of the price of gas, I found myself down there again.

I got a peck of peaches and a peck of pears (say that 3 times real fast) for $11.00 each. I'm not sure if that was a good price or not but that's what they were. They are both good and ripe and ready to be canned. The pears are a little on the small side but nice.

Lehmans only had a couple of boxes of canning jars left. The super Walmart that I went to last month that had two huge displays of jars was almost gone too. I guess a lot of people did a lot of canning this year. That's a good thing. I'd like 2 more cases of half pints for the fruit but so far I can't find any. Might have to do a few pint size jars. If you spent $25.00 they gave you a free battery organizer with tester. I didn't need one but took it anyway. Maybe I'll load it up and keep it in the garage or basement.

I was in one store that had tons of bulk food items. They also sold their own brand of canned goods. Mostly fruit, veggies, pickles and jellys. You name it, it was canned. All of the pint size jars were $4.99 and the quart size jars were $6.99. You were probably paying for the label, Amish name and tourist gift but still... $7.00 for a quart of pickles?

Sample page:

http://www.troyerscountrymarket.com/fruitsandvegetables.aspx