MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Persimmon Jam!

We were gifted with a big box o' persimmons yesterday when we picked up our Bountiful Basket that we had ordered for the week. Apparently nobody else knew what they were or what to do with them, so my husband and I split the huge box with another curious gentleman and brought them home. Hooray!

Turns out they are sweet and delicious (WHEN they are ripe....don't ever do what I did and taste a not-quite-ripe persimmon....it was NOT pleasant!!). I cut them up and pureed them yesterday, and today I am making persimmon jam!

It is going to be the brightest orange jam I have ever seen. Beautiful!

I'm waiting for my canner to come to a boil right now, and the persimmon jam is about to simmer on the stove...hooray!

It turned out well. :) It does still make your mouth a little dry, so I must have gotten one or two not-quite-ripe persimmons in there before I realized what they do to you, but it still tastes good. My hubby likes it!! :) I'm going to use the rest of the pulp to make a persimmon cake tomorrow. Yum!