MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Things Used During the Civil War Drug Shortage

http://www.civilwarhome.com/drugsshsp.htm

"Of that large class of medicines, so useful in surgery and so much in demand in war times, called antiseptics, most of them, I may say, have been discovered and appropriated to surgical use since our war. In fact, I had but little else at my command except the cold-water dressing for wounds. From experiment I learned to improve on the plain old method, as I think, by employing a decoction of red-oak bark added to the water, which acted as a disinfectant, and by its stimulating and astringent properties promoted the healing process. I also used a weak solution of bicarbonate of soda, which I found beneficial in the suppurative stages. When emollients were indicated, I used slippery elm and wahoo root bark, and solution of common salt often helped. In case of great pain I employed poppy heads, nightshade and stramonium.

There's a LOT more information in there.

that doc was no slouch. i enthralled a civil war enactor i met while doing a vehicle inspection on his farm when I pointed out the cramp-bark bush he had growing next to the garage, that they used back in the day...the smart docs learned the 'indian' remedies and used them in times of need.