MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Using a juicer in canning?

Are you talking about a steam juicer? I think that would work fine. You will also get more juice, if you freeze fruit and berries first. We cook the grapes first and drain the juice. Then I put the pulp in my steam juicer and get a lot more juice out. I do it this way, because I usually do 7-8 bushels. I cook the grapes in my outdoor-wood canner, since it is large and I can do them faster this way. My Mennonite friends cooked them in their wood-canner last year, then borrowed our cider press. They put the remaining pulp in a pillowcase and then into the press and they got a lot of juice. I may do that this year.

Actually, I have an electric juicer like this:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11771671926375182620?q=hamilton+beach+big+mouth+pro&oq=hamilton+beach+big&aqs=chrome.3.0j69i57j0l2j69i60j69i62.6356j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=OCX7UaKaN4bA9QSEjIHoBQ&ved=0CIABELkk

I was contemplating being lazy and just shoving the uncooked grapes through the juicer. Do you think the grapes should be cooked first? I could probably cook them, let them cool, then feed them through the juicer. It's just so much more convenient than my hand strainer. And, all the parts go through the dishwasher!