MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Science jokes

ROBIE

Im a geek, I admit it! Love these jokes but some may not be easy to understand.

There are 10 kind of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who cant.

A Neutron walks into a bar and asks the bartender how much for a drink, the bartender looks at him and says "for you, no charge!"

I'm reading a fascinating book on anti gravity.... I cant put it down!

Where does bad light end up? In prism.

What does a sub atomic duck say? Quark!

How do you know the moon is going broke? Its down to it's last quarter!

Why cant you trust Atoms? They make everything up.

Why does a burger have less energy than a steak? A burger is in its ground state.

Robie :laughkick:

Bumper sticker that I saw while stuck in a traffic jam next to Goddard Space Flight Center...the background was red, with white text, and read:

"If this sticker is blue you are driving WAY too fast." Took me a couple seconds. :laughkick:

I got the other ones, but I'm afraid this one is above my head. Can you explain???

Bumper sticker that I saw while stuck in a traffic jam next to Goddard Space Flight Center...the background was red, with white text, and read:

"If this sticker is blue you are driving WAY too fast." Took me a couple seconds. :laughkick:

I got the other ones, but I'm afraid this one is above my head. Can you explain???

Doppler Shift. It applies to light as well as sound. Longer wavelength = red, shorter wavelength = blue (or high pitch = short, low pitch = long). The reason we "know" that the universe is expanding is due to the Red Shift viewed in our telescopes (such as with distant stars/galaxies viewed through the Hubble telescope). As stuff in the universe moves away from us, or out of a gravitational field, the light "reddens." Conversely, if something moves closer, or into a gravitational field, you get a blueshift.

So if an (astronomical) object is moving toward you, or you moving toward it, you get the blueshift...turning that "red" sticker "blue."

In short, someone's trying to ram their BMW up your tailpipe hard. This glosses over a lot, and I can just hear my old physicist boyfriend going "Waiiiiiiiit....." but that's the general idea.

One Shift Two Shift Red Shift Blue Shift :P