MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Who fought for our Country

Do you have someone in your line who fought for our country???

I found at least 3 on my side and I think there were at least 2 or 3 on Old Pine's side too.

My greatgrandfather faught in the Civil War and lost his arm during that time. He was taken prisoner of war and put in the worse prison in the south. He did survive it and many others did too, but there were so many who didn't. Andersonville Prison. You wouldn't believe the way things were done there.

Here is just one site that tells about it.

http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/Andersonvilleprison/

Remember, these men faught for our freedom, please lets help keep our freedom.

Guest Guest

My Dad, and four of his brothers were serving during WWII. My Grandmother had 5 Service Stars in her window at one time. Thankfully, none of them were gold.

• 2 months later...

Snowmom, according to research done by my Aunt Evelyn Langley and reviewed and accepted by the DAR, one of my ancestors, James Riley Langley, fought in the American Revolution against the British. Does that count as an answer to your question? sg

Not quite fighting for his country, but fighting for what he believed in - my great great grandfather was a covenanter, and had one ear chopped off for his religious beliefs. I hope to find out more about him when I get around to doint that side of the family.

My Great Grandfather John Freeman fought for the North in the CIvil War. His brother died fighting in Tennessee, and he named one of his sons after him. His father also fought in the Civil War.

My Grandfather fought in WW2 as a pilot of a cargo plane. One of the missions he flew his commanding officer was awarded the silver cross for. Both of his brothers also fought in WW2. Further back on my mom's side I have several ancestors who fought in the American Revolution. Don't have time this morning to look them all up. On my Dad's side, my great aunt was a Sea Bee ( I think that's what it's called) in the Navy. It's really humbling to think of how many fought and died for our freedom.

Dad was in Korea. His brothers and Dad all served in WWII. My great great grandpa served in PA. regiment in Civil War. ( I have copies and originals of his pension and discharge papers) Other Grandpa fought in Spanish American War. I have some of his medals.

On DH's side his great great great grandpa fought in the War of 1812. I have copies of land grants signed by President Adams awarded to him.

Both of us had relatives in the Revolution. Anyone doing genealogy should check DAR records. You may be lucky enough that relatives have already done the research on your common ancestor. The DAR requires extensive proof so alot of their info is pretty reliable.

• 3 weeks later...

WWII...My Dad, his brother David, Mom's 3 brother's Jack, Gerald, and Robert... DH's uncle Randolph was killed days after the war was over. Korea, Mom's brothers Howard and Donald...Howard spent 3 years in a prison camp and Donald was killed. Vietnam... DH's brother Frank.... Desert Storm...Our son James..... Iraq our neice Angel.