MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What we did on our anniversary!

Deblyn

Mr Lowie asked what I would like to do, so I said I would like to make another attempt at finding the grave of William Barnes, a famous Dorset poet. We tried earlier in the year, but failed. No-one told me the village I was looking for had been abandoned in the 15th and 16th centuries to make way for extensive sheep farming! Today, the little church sits down a tiny leafy lane in the grounds of a palladial mansion built in the 17th century. We found it after a couple of false turnings, but the church itself is absolutely charming, and dates back to the 14th century. Although no longer used as a place of regular worship, it is looked after by the Churches Conservation Trust which preserves and restores churches for future generations. I took some photos of the church and his grave, which is a beautiful celtic cross engraved with dragons and animals. The setting is just wonderful, and very very peaceful.

On the way home, we stopped at the recycling centre to see if there was anything about and came away with a handful of bargains as usual! I got a dozen seed trays (flats), an electric typewriter (just needs a new ribbon) for B, a good Italian made garlic press, a new man ( I will explain that one in The Orchard as it is garden-related), and a gorgeous Indian silver anklet, really heavy and ornate, which I am going to make into a necklace. Mr Lowie got a pile of metal brackets and bits and pieces for his "stock".

We just pottered around when we got home and Mr L finished painting the window catches for B's room.

All in all, a good day.

Lowie you and Mr. Lowie celebrate your anniversaries about like my DH and I do. Nothing big or elaborate just a nice day together. We just set off in the car to find what we can find. It seems we always find something interesting somewhere. One year it was a 88 year old lady that still raised over 1,000 geese a year. She had little plastic swimming pools all over and each day she emptied a few and refilled with water. Another year a divorced mother with 2 young teenage children had gotten a government grant was was milking and breeding over 100 goats. Year after year it's something fun but nothing spectacular.

Your day sounded absolutely perfect. Glad it was a good one for you!!!

Our anniversary is Aug 20th and it was 37 years Snowmom. This year we spent our anniversary a little differently than we usually do. We had lunch with my elderly aunt and cousin in Des Moines, I had my 6 weeks checkup and then flew back home to Crystal's bridal shower. Not quite the easy going day we usually have!

Well Happygirl it is the big 20. I was trying to get reservations at a Bed and breakfast in a nearby German town but so far I've been unsuccessful. What's funny is we live less than 2 miles away from a nice B&B but since we eat breakfast there alot it wouldn't be special to go there. Besides I wanted to have a mini-vacation. We haven't been away overnight for ages.