MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

"The wackier side of US food"

That is the title of a little column in the current issue of Sainsbury's magazine. And it goes like this.................

Yak?Yuk!

The hairy, hardy Himalayn yak, favourite fare in tibet and Nepal has made it on to American menus. There are already some 30 small yak ranches in the US, producing low-fat meat that fans say is juicier, sweeter and more delicate than beef. Yaks are docile, thrive in high, rocky places and eat less than other cattle. But, for the moment, the meat costs more than double the price of beef. And then there's the image problem..........

A Lychee Story

Traditionally confined to a role between chow mein and fortune cookies, lychees - all 2 million pounds of them - are now being widely offered on supermarket shelves in the US. Farmers began growing them to replace less profitable crops after Hurricane Andrew devastated Southern Florida in 1992, and this year has brought the biggest-ever harvest.

Can Do

Just as we were getting used to screw-top wine, here comes wine in a can. Marketed as Aussie wine, a four-pack of Cabernet or Chardonnay, the equivalent of a bottle, sells for about 6 pounds. A top-secret can lining prevents the wine from tasting tinny.

Doing (less) porridge

Cash-strapped US states are trimming prison diets. That means two daily meals instead of three in Virginia, one dessert choice instead of two in Iowa and jelly instead of fruit in Minnesota.

For richer, for poorer...

Wedding cakes cost twice as much now as 10 years ago - about 2.60 a slice. It's not quite Martha Stewart, but to help couples economise, bakers now offer a cake that is mostly ornately decorated styrofoam, with just a top tier that is real. After the symbolic cutting ceremony, it disappears into the kitchen, re-emerging as pre-cut slices - from a tray-baked version.

So, that is how Sainsbury sees the current trends in American food!

Interesting Post Lowie......seems strange that i have to learn stuff about the US from my buddy in England.......hahaha

Pass on the Yak......would make me Yack.

That wine CAN'T be good......

Starving our Prisoners? Take away their TV's and weigh room first.....

I think that fake wedding cake is ingenious!