MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cheveux d'Ange

I got this from a site called Future Foods, but have not tried it out yet.

To prepare, cut the flesh into small cubes and simmer them in boiling salted water for about an hour. When they are tender, pour off the water and refresh the cubes with plenty of cold water. Drain them when cold, and place in a large bowl. Now stir them about with a fork, separating the flesh into strands, rather like spaghetti squash. (This can now be mixed with mashed potato and baked in the oven with egg and cheese topping). for the flavoured honey (Cheveux d'Ange), mix the flesh with its own weight in honey (acacia for preference) and leave for a day. Then simmer gently for about half an hour, until it is golden in colour, and bottle. This is the famous Cheveux d'Ange, once highly esteemed in Paris

Candied Chilacayote (Malabar gourd)

4 - 6 lbs diced chilacayote

1 tables poon lime juice

3 1/2 lbs sugar

500 grams brown sugar (not raw sugar)

2 cups water

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cinnamon sticks

Beat, peel and dice the chilacayote. Place in a large bowl, add the lime and cover with water. Leave it overnight. The following day, wash and squeeze it gently. Place sugar, cinnamon, water and salt in a saucepan and bring to the boil, remove tany scum that rises to the top. Add the flesh and keep at a gentle boil until it looks transparent and the syrup is sticky. It takes around 6 hours. Serve cold. It is usually served without syrup.

I would say it is unlikely, but you never know. They are easy to grow from seed, if you are able to get hold of the seed. I am happy to send you some seed if you would like (I have never actually looked inside one yet, but I presume there is seed in there like any other type of squash!)- just let me know, you'd be very welcome. They are great fun to grow.