MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Soy milk problem

CeeGee

Hi there,

When I read Midnight moms article on soy I quit drinking soy milk and using soy products(in reference to its effects on the thyroid). I had blood work done a week ago and my throid is real low. They said normal is .35 and mine is 40 TSH NO decimal in front. I think there is probably something to the article and thanks for sharing it Midnight mom.

Miki

I'm going to have to take synthroid for a while I guess.

Hi Snappie,

Now why am i excited cuz you've joined the Hypothyroid club? I'm on the generic synthroid.....Levoxyl.....it's no biggie. You'll get used to taking it.

Did you know that it's best not to have antacids or calcium within an hour of taking your pill.

That means orange juice with calcium, Tums, calcium suppliments too.

Goosie and Midnight Mom give out great info don't they? I didn't know about the soy either. You take it cuz it's good for ya and then you learn differently.

Hope your feeling better soon..if your tired...maybe this will help.

deb

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bcUHRh9AutwpY9DM

[This message has been edited by debbielee (edited September 05, 2002).]

Hey Snap!!! Holy Moly Lady!!!! With a TSH of 40 I would be laying on the floor twitching!!! shocked.gif

My TSH was almost 9 when I was diagnosed. My first doc got it down to 3.5 with Synthroid but I still felt crummy, so now I take Armour Thyroid (made from pig thyroid instead of chemicals)

I learned an awful lot about hypoT at:

http://about.thyroid.com

Also from a book called "Living Well with Hypothyroidism" by Mary Shoman

Most docs (read that as *all*) believe that you must take thyroid medicine the rest of your life. My doc is a very rare exception that believes some of us can actually be cured by changes in diet. I'm going that route and I've reduced my meds twice......so far...... smile.gif

Wish me luck, I'm feeling better than I have in many, many years. Maybe I'll beat this thing!

------------------

gl.jpg

PS Some tips:

1) If you take calcium, don't take it at the same time as you take your Synthroid.

2) Avoid soy (you already know this). Your thyroid may improve greatly from just removing sthe soy from your diet.

3) Get enough selenium every day. You can get enough from vitamins, or from eating 3 brazil nuts. You need enough selenium for your thyroid to function properly.

4) Avoid fluoride wherever possible. Use fluoride free toothpaste (like Tom's of Maine), drink non-fluoridated water if you possibly can.

------------------

gl.jpg