MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what about Fall

what is it about fall you like. for me it is when school would start and i was a kid it was the smells of new shoes and books and paperas a mother it was thaking time out to go shopping with our DD, it was a wonderful time for mother and daughter.

it's the color of the leaves as they change, their smell when you go walking through the woods., the coolness of the days. The harvest, the filled pantry.

hunting season use to be a time of excitment. friends and family getting together, for me it was just being out in the woods to see if I could fine the deer or whatever it was we where hunting. I never shot unless there was a need for the meat. there was so much laughter during that time as the old men would tell tales of their hunt.

halloween got to love it. having the children all come dressed up and all excited. and of course thanksgiving time a time to give and be thankful for all. Time out to get to gether with family and friends that you hadn't had much time to do things with before.

Fall is a time to start to slow down and refect.

Love Halloween, we do not look at it as a satanic holiday, we use it as a family fun time, with only fun costumes ( no blood or gore, plus it is one time of year, that I really get some heavy duty walking in.) Time to start thinking of the Thanksgiving meal plans.

I love to watch the leaves turn on the trees, love all the pumpkin patches heavily laden with pumpkins.

All the schools fall activities, And we get to turn off the dang ole air conditioner

My favorite season when the air gets crisp and cool and the leaves get so beautiful. My memories of childhood and jumping in the piles and drinking cider and pumpkins and the start of school which I actually liked LOL. My kids bring all those fun times back and I just have so much fun watching them discover the simple pleasures the changing seasons bring.

I would have to say fall is one of my favorites. I love the smell of the air in the fall. The changing colors, crisp cool mornings, not having to mow, the first lighting of the fire place and the smell of wood smoke..Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love decorating for fall. Straw bales, scarecrows, corn shocks, fall seems to be the most relaxing time there is. The kids go back to school, fires don't have to be tended to every day yet, yards aren't having to be mowed as often, fans and air condidtioners can be shut off. Time for bread and pie making. Canning and preserving comes to an end.. The gardens are over... There's not much I don't like about fall.. Here is a song my Mom taught me and my children when we were all little, so it reminds me of her every year!

Come little leaves said the wind one day, over the meadows and far away, put on your jackets of red and gold, summer is gone and the days grow cold.

Soon the leaves heard the winds loud call, down they came fluttering one and all

Over the brown fields they danced and they flew singing the sweet little songs they knew..

Here's another autumn lover. We usually have wonderful Indian Summers so I remember starting back to school and getting too warm wearing a new sweater or jacket to school.I love the crisp, cool air and the smell of autumn. My kids are grown and I don't have grandchildren but I decorate for autumn. I put a mailbox cover on my mailbox that has a country barn and lots of pumpkins. I have two garden flags that I change to one with a woman in her kitchen with the harvest and another with a squirrel. I have a big basket I got a good deal on and right now I have about 5 little mums of different colors on the front doorstep (we're already in the 60s most days). Golly I need to pull out my autumn box to see what all is in there.

I also choose to see positive in seeing the children come to Trick or Treat and enjoy giving them candy but I feel a bit sad that no longer can you make homemade cookies and not have them thrown out because some people have ruined it for all. I love Thanksgiving although I wish I had a DIL who wanted to cook/help. DH is engrossed in ball games on TV. My oldest son works on Thursdays but if he's here he makes the best gravy. Our Japanese Maple usually loses it's leaves in November. They used to blow away down the hill somewhere but the last two years they land in our driveway I almost am embarrassed to admit it but I miss the comforting sound of the heat coming on in the morning. Soon enough, soon enough.

Fall is my favourite time of year. The colours are incredible, the air smells wonderful.

As a Pagan, fall has special meaning to me for many reasons. Someone commented that they don't consider Hallowe'en a "satanic" holiday. I'm glad to see that, because Pagans don't either. To them, Hallowe'en, or Samhain (sow-wen), as we call it, is one of the most spiritual times in the year. It's the time we honour those of our loved ones who have passed on.

I have to say, as a longtime member of this site, and as the former webmaster, that I'm glad to see MrsS is not becoming intolerant of other's beliefs as it becomes more Christian in content. That's very, very nice to see.

Happy fall, everyone.

Blessings

I am a child of Autumn, and I treasure our short season. I love the warm days, and cool nights......being able to shut off the AC and leave all the windows open to enjoy fresh, cool air. I love the clarity of the night sky, and love to sit on the patio, watching the stars, and just enjoying being in the moment.

I love the changing of the leaves, and pumpkins and stalks of corn adorning the front porches of the houses. The horses start to get wooly, and look like teddy bears, and they are so warm to snuggle into their coats, and they smell like sunshine. Laundry appears more frequently on the clotheslines....mostly bedding being aired out for winter use.

The canyons are alive with color and brisk air, for a short time. We start to see wildlife more frequently. Termination dust laces the mountain tops, reminding us that winter is not far away. Leaves blow about, and I wish for the days when I was a child and would rake piles of leaves just to dive into them and bury myself. It is the time of year when I most like to have a holiday, and I always feel Alaska calling, leaving me restless. Most people have spring fever, I get fall fever, when I want to leave work, and spend the days among nature.

Halloween is the end of the harvest, and the beginning of the Pagan New Year. For Pagan's, it is the night when the veil between the worlds is the thinnest, and communication is most likely. There is nothing satanic about Paganism or Halloween. Satanism is a Christian concept, and does not exist in Paganism. I just want to set the record straight, because Paganism is really a lovely, earth based, gentle religion. Pagans deserve the same respect for their religion that Christians demand of their own. If it was really a horrible time, I wonder why so many Christian members would encourage their children to partake in the festivities. I wish we had someone more knowledgeable than me to explain this. OK, enough lecture.......just trying to alleviate a misconception.

I LOVE the Autumn!

It's no problem, Mare. I don't usually talk about my beliefs unless I'm specifically asked, and even then, I consider my spirituality to be a private, personal thing.

One of the things I've always appreciated about this site is how accepting and non-judgemental people are. If they weren't, I'd have left five years ago.

I, in no way believe that halloween is satanic. I believe it is a beautiful time that needs to be honored. Like Mare said, it signifies the end of Harvest, and the beginning of a whole new season.

The reason I said anything about it being satanic, is because I know many people who truly believe that it is.

But, I am not one of those people. Believe me we celebrate halloween full fledged around here.

We spend time as a family outside, enjoying the crisp fall air, we meet many new people,sometimes we come upon old friend that we had lost touch with over the years. We spend a whole evening as a family, having fun.

Nothing at all. I totally agree with you. So do most Pagans. Those who think there is something evil about Hallowe'en or about how Pagans celebrate it are misinformed.

i have truly enjoy reading everyones post about fall. I look forward to it even more so then what i did; to try and see what you all see in it to.

as for beliefs... I like learning about others how they celebrate, what they believe and why etc... it is so neat to me. ask MM it seems like i would ask her to many question.