MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

R ~Tomatillos

I grow violet tomatillos every year because I like them. I use them in salsa, but they rarely get as far as the kitchen as I usually eat them as I wander around the garden! What else can you do with them? All suggestions gratefully received!

http://www.iserv.net/~wmize/tomtilr.html

Easy Tomatillo Salsa

Great on poultry!

Olive oil

Two parts chopped tomatillos

One part chopped Vidalia onion (or sweet onion)

One part chopped green chiles

one lime

Clean and core tomatillos. Coat a large skillet with olive oil. Chop tomatillos and add to skillet, along with onion and green chiles. Saute over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes. If mixture sticks to skillet, add more olive oil to taste. Remove from heat. Squeeze lime juice over mixture and stir to blend. Serve warm or refrigate and serve cold.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Esparragos Con Tomatillos (Asparagus With Tomatillos)

Ingredients

3 tb Oil

4 lg Tamatillos (about 1 1/2-inch

- diameter) husked, rinsed,

- and finely diced

1 sm Pear-shaped tomato, cored

- and finely diced

1/4 c Cojita, crumbled or finely

- shredded Parmesian cheese

Lemon wedges

Salt and pepper (optional)

1 lb Asparagus

Instructions 1. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus; rinse spears. Pour water to a depth of 1 inch into a wide frying pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add asparagus and cook, uncovered, until barely tender when pierced (3 to 5 minutes); drain. Immerse in ice water. When cool, drain again; arrange on a platter or on 4 salad plates.

2. Mix oil, tomatillos, and tomato; spoon over asparagus. Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with lemon wedges. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes 4 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Tomatillos can be served raw - try them chopped into a salad - but their flavor intensifies when cooked. Add a handful to a pot of chili or soup.

El Campesino's Tomatillo Sauce

4 parts chopped tomatillos

4 parts chopped red or green chiles

2 parts chopped onion

1 part chopped cilantro

garlic to taste

Put all ingredients into blender or food processor and pulse until an even consistency. Can be heated or served uncooked.

Cooked Tomatillo Sauce

24 tomatillos, prepared

1/4 cup onion

1/2 cup defatted chicken broth 1/4 cup chopped cilantro juice of one lemon

Simmer all ingredients in a medium saucepan, stirring frequently so that mixture doesn't stick - approximately 30 minutes. Serve hot over poultry or cool and freeze.

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bcUHRh9AutwpY9DM

Many thanks indeed - lots to do if they ever get as far as the kitchen! I would have to try the salsa without the poultry as I'm vegetarian. Asparagus won't be a problem soon, as last week I pootted up 167 asparagus seedlings I grew from seed. I am left with a few less than that now as the blessed pigeons have been pulling them from their pots!! I like the idea of adding them ti chilli as well. I knew someone here would come up with an answer for me!

You know i knew you were a vegetarian...my how my mind slips.......You can always substitute the chicken broth with veggie broth. Yeah....skip the dead chicken...

I just did a little search at a few sites for ya.....if you want i can go looking again. There were a million Tomatillo salsa recipes. But you already make that.

Let me know.

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bcUHRh9AutwpY9DM

Hi Debbie,

I'm still fairly new to this computer lark and never thought about checking on the web for tomatillo!

My first instinct is to rach for a book off the shelf. Very few people (I can't think of anyone actually!) grow them here, but even if you just grew them for their gorgeous colour that would be enough - the eating is a bonus. I have a set of three books about recipes from generations of families that have won prizes in the state fairs with their produce, so will go and have a look at that too. Thanks for your help again much appreciated. Today, though, I should get my stove back this evening - keep your fingers crossed! So next week will be spent catching up on bottling, jam and pickles - can't wait! My friends think I am a little sad, but I don't; I love cooking and baking.