MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My canning experience...

Guest Guest

With my new canner...

Day 1

Well westie, I'm beat...I made a HUGE pot of chicken soup with 2 hens about 5lbs each, that'll give you an idea how big my pot is...

Ironically my mom was sick yesterday, so I had to confiscate some of my canning broth to make up a smaller pot of chicken soup for her. I only got 9 quarts outta what I had left, but it's a good start.

When the chicksoup was done in the pressure canner, I had to get out a 2 step ladder to climb up on to get the top off the canner...that thing is so huge...rofl

While I was beat already, I came up with this bright idea to make some beef stew to can with fresh herbs from the garden, etc...I made it in my HUGE pot, and i'm sure I'll get close to 14-16 quarts outta this batch.

Btw...

*fliping bouncy brown curls...*

Guess what?

I found the instruction booklet in the bottom of the canner, underneath the paper...

Right now, I'm sitting out on my patio outside and I can barely move. Thank goodness I've started this canning early so that I'll have time to make enough for Christmas presents.

This post feels kinda bland, but that's I can do right now. I'm SO tired...lol

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Darlene,

Just a quick fyi. You should have the guage checked on your pressure canner. Especially if its new. They sometimes get out of whack. If you have a county extension office they will check it for you for free. I wouldn't want the pressures to be off and risk spoiling all your hard and delicious work.

I am impressed and jealous of all your canning. I did not do to much this year, was to busy with all the kids.

MOM

Hey Dar!! What did your mom think of your chicken soup? Did it make her feel better?

Wow you should take a pic of your new canner and send it along cyber space to us all! How's the garden?

Buttercup pats Dars little bouncin curls and says "Good job"!!!

Darlene,

a ladder eh? and a hoist to lift it on and off the stove!

I have an outside kitchen set up for canning. I just took it down. I have a few apples left to can but we don't eat much applesauce. I do use it in baking but not much. We prefer to store the apples for eating.

I have already put Goliath away but keep Jack in my cupboard year round. Jack only does 5 quarts which is all that I need to can leftovers in the winter. Goliath is only allowed out during the harvest season. Oh and I don't need a ladder or hoist for Jack.