MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Momo's Cooking Lesson

Since our 6 year old Princess spent most of the Thanksgiving weekend with us we had time to do alot of things together. She and I decided we would make a homemade dessert for dinner Sunday night. I handed her the Betty Crocker cookbook and she picked out as nice simple treat. We decided on butterscotch pudding. She did all the reading out loud, step by step, as I mixed, boiled etc. When we were all done she told me that she knew another way to make pudding. I asked her how. She told me that you take a box that says Jello on the outside and mix it with milk and shake it up. The poor kid had no idea. I then had to explain the difference between homemade and instant cooking. I think I have created a monster, since she asked me to write the recipe down for her to take home. I bet DIL will be irritated. BTW after we ate it she said they shouldn't put pudding in boxes because it tastes better when you boil it.

How wonderful a memory. It reminds me of a story my grandmother told me. When I was about 4 years old I used to stand on a chair beside her baking cabinet and watch her make biscuits. One day I told her that my mommie didn't make biscuits like that. She asked how my mommie did it. I told her she went to the frigerator and took out a can "Bopped" them on the counter and out popped biscuits. From then on my grandmother called my mother's biscuits "boppers"!