MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning smoked salmon

Bamboo

Okay, my husband was reading a forum for fisherman and someone posted the question: When canning "smoked" salmon, do you still need to can it for the 110 minutes at 15 pounds pressure? His reason was that the salmon has already been cooked during the smoking process. Any ideas?

This sounds really good... think of smoked salmon on a cracker with cheese....mmmm

I don't know the answer, but it sure sounds good. The Eskimo's dry their salmon by hanging it out in fresh air at the fish camps, then smoke it. They use it all winter long, but I'm not sure what all they have to do to preserve it for that long. I've never been fortunate enough to have enough fish to can. good luck!

Most of the smoked salmon I see here is "fresh" or canned in tins. I think when folks come in from fishing they have an option to have their fish canned for them (tins).

I do know people who can tuna - they say the smell in the house is bad but you would never want (tin) canned tuna after you tasted the home canned.

I'll scout around and see if I can find an answer.

One thing I'm thinking is the jar needs to be sealed so maybe that would be why it needs that time.

Jan

Archived