MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Search spiders?

cookiejar

:spider:

Okay,

I'm showing my ignorance. I keep seeing so many search spiders in such and such a forum. What exactly are they? Outside searches? Inside searches using arachnids? grin

enquirering minds want to know...

:spider:

http://library.scsu.ctstateu.edu/sea4.htm

# Search Engine sends spider/agent to a web page for indexing and inclusion of the page in the search engine database.

# Spider analyzes page based on criteria below and sends back a report/record for the page it has analyzed.

# Spiders then follow the URLs it has found on the page to more pages and then creates records for these pages.

spider2.png

The short version is this...

A search spider is the program that search engines such as google use to find all the web pages that come up when you search. It starts at say Amazon.com, and searches through all the links on it's main page, then it searches through oh say three more pages of links per each link that it visits (for example, only the first three pages of Kodak Digital Cameras at Amazon will show up in your search results) and it records all of the data found on those pages. It also follows any outside links and does the same thing with those links. Eventually it finds its way to smaller sites. That is why, when marketing, having a lot of outside links (preferably on some bigger sites) is important. Then it brings all that info back to google. Then that info is plugged into another program that determines the relevance of a given link, which is what determines where it gets placed in the search results.

How relevance is determined is a whole 'nuther subject.

Mo7

Archived