MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Northern Lights

I miss seeing them occasionally.  Rarely in Iowa but I remember where we stood, gazing in wonder during childhood.  Often when DH and I lived in the woods in Duluth, MN.  They are quite a beautiful wonder!

MtRider  ......uh, does that mean we have solar activity?  Going towards solar minimum [least solar activity in 11 yr cycles].... 

So.....solar activity and auroras are or are not connected?  :scratchhead:

This is a startling article at first glance.  But then again, mebbe not.  :shrug: 

[Note:  haven't verified if this is legit reporting or not.....AND I think it's difficult to understand what this article is saying/ I need more science for this.]

https://www.jewsnews.co.il/2018/03/08/a-massive-geomagnetic-storm-is-going-to-hit-earth-on-march-18th.html

This is a site I like to read.  SpaceWeather. com....  Reporting on the absence of sun spots right now.  This was for today:  3/9/2018

http://www.spaceweather.com/

" Periods of spotlessness are a normal part of the 11-year solar cycle. However, the current Solar Minimum may be remarkable as the ambient solar wind and its magnetic field are weakening to low levels never before seen in the Space Age. The flagging pressure of the solar wind, in turn, is allowing more cosmic rays to penetrate the solar system. These rays are being detected not only by NASA spacecraft in the Earth-Moon system, but also by space weather balloons in Earth's atmosphere. Read "The Worsening Cosmic Ray Situation" to learn more about this phenomenon. "

[bold is mine]

Does that mean the cosmic rays are leaking out from our sun and trailing out into space at ...us? 

MtRider  :tinfoilhatsmile:    ;)  ...interesting tho