MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Just one gal. of milk !

Can we get the most out of a gal. of milk or what?

*using fresh milk from the cow - (well we didn't milk it this time our Amish friend did)

-put into gal glass jug then into frig. to separate

-then took off the cream from the top

-made canning jar butter from this (nice yellow color this time -enough to fill a butter jar)

-took 2 qts. and made yogurt

-took other 2 qts and made vinegar cheese

-took the butter milk from making the butter and made buttermilk cheese (not much but we used the buttermilk we had)

Now THAT is getting your moneys worth !

Well other then it was free milk to start with?

That is amazing! Milk around here goes fast, and I admit it is the on thing I never "cheap" on. I'll use dried for cooking, but Hon and I go through about a gallon of milk every 2-3 days.

How do you make vinegar milk? Is that just a form of cottage cheese? Any chance of you posting?

Here's the recipe for vinegar cheese:

2 quarts whole milk

1/4 cup white vinegar

Heat milk to 180 degrees,stirring constantly to prevent sticking-do not let it boil. Pour in the vinegar and stir-it will become curds & whey within seconds. Turn off heat!

Pour into a muslin or cheesecloth lined colander and let drain until firm & solid. It will keep from 7-10 days in the frig.

Use in most recipes that call for ricotta or cottage cheese or just eat as cheese or put in salads.

Enjoy!

I am a cheapbody.....I htink it's awesome your milk went so far!!!

We have been aon a tight budget since buying our home, and I have been streeeeetching those grocery dollars!!! LOL! Two things I do to make milk last: use powdered milk for cooking (you can't tell the difference in most things) and I buy whole milk and add water. One gallon on whole milk makes two gallons in our house LOL! It tastes like 1% or skim. It took a bit for dh to get used to it, but all is well now! We go through milk like crazy and this helps us out. Plus there's the added bonus of only storing half the amount of milk. I buy 3 gallons when I go shopping to last 2 weeks. So, at most I am storing 3 1/2 gallons of milk when I am really getting 6 gallons for my money, since I only *mix* it as I empty a gallon jug (if that makes sense LOL!).

Shawna

Quote: Can we get the most out of a gal. of milk or what?

*using fresh milk from the cow - (well we didn't milk it this time our Amish friend did)

-put into gal glass jug then into frig. to separate

-then took off the cream from the top

-made canning jar butter from this (nice yellow color this time -enough to fill a butter jar)

-took 2 qts. and made yogurt

-took other 2 qts and made vinegar cheese

-took the butter milk from making the butter and made buttermilk cheese (not much but we used the buttermilk we had)

Now THAT is getting your moneys worth !

Well other then it was free milk to start with?

OK - color me stupid - What is canning jar butter?

make butter in a canning jar by shaking about ever so much. am i right? :P

Yes - to make butter you put it into glass canning jars and shake it for anywhere from 20 mins. To about 1/2 hour depending on the cream and how much you shake it?

You fill each jar (we do 3 pints most of the time) about 1/2 full, then you shake it 10 times and open it up to let out the air. Then shake it again for 10 times and open it again. Then you just keep shaking it (we rock it back and forth) until you see the butter form (you will hear it too).

Then just put into bowl - get all the buttermilk out like all butter recipes and enjoy. Great fun for the kids and you can even do it with store-bought heavy cream!

Archived