MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

dehydrating newbie

Shawn

Hey everybody! I'm new here but have been lurking around for a while and learning great things from you all. You are a great source of information and inspiration.

I don't have a canner, so everything I'm doing is with a dehydrator and sealer. I'm still fuzzy on the storing part of this process. I'm feeling like "long term" is a subjective phrase!

I have dried green bean, peas, cabbage - things like this and they have all turned out great. I have to admit I am leary of not freezing everything for fear it will go bad too quickly. But I don't want to use up all my freezer space with dehydrated food if I don't have to.

When I dry fruit most of it still comes out leathery. I've read on here that it should be like this, but doesn't that mean there is still some moisture in it? Won't it go bad if not frozen?

What is considered long term if you don't freeze it? How much longer would it stay good if I did freeze it?

Ok, that's all for now. I'm sure I will have lots more questions along the way. Thanks for your help.

:welcome4:

Hi Shawn, I'm so glad you're here. I have done very little dehydrating, so I'll let those who are more knowledgeable answer your questions, but just wanted to say hi!

I did find this article about Dehydrated Food and it's proper storage. Hopefully it will give you a little info to chew on until one of members has a chance to give you some personal experience.

:wave:

welcomeflowrs.gif Shawn!

I used to do the same as you... I was so afraid the foods would mold that I froze them.

Guess what... they sometimes develop "tastes"... shakinghead.gif

And when you take them out, you need to be careful to use them right away so moisture from the freezing/thawing didn't develop.

Well, I've learned that it wasn't necessary... kind of by "mistake".

I dried some mushrooms and placed them in a Zip Lock baggie and forgot to put them into a better container. And later did the same with dried strawberries. huhsmileyf.gif

BOTH are still well dried and tasty, with no mold or other problems... in plastic bags. I've been using them, and just left them in the bags.

So do the best you can, making sure you follow directions and dry them as indicated... leathery or hard.

I would suggest you invest in a Foodsaver if you'd like to package them in small, useable pouches. It takes the air out so there's less chance of spoilage, and the plastic is thicker. You *must* be sure they're cooled and dry before storing this way.

chef.gif

Thanks Cat and Stephanie!

Good info about the "taste". I do have a sealer which I know will help with the shelf life of the dried product. But, how long is the shelf life if you don't freeze it?

One more thing - I just dried a bunch of cabbage which turned out really well - nice and crispy. But I'm thinking when I seal those cute little shreds of cabbage they will turn into powder! Is there a way to do this without it crushing the cabbage?

I think the answer is to get the vacuum doo-dads for the jars. Right?

Thanks again

Dehydrated and totally dry foods do not require any special handling or packaging. Put in a jar or container of any kind and store. Vacuum sealing is optional. Freezing should not be done because it will reintroduce moisture.

Fruits and other foods that do not totally dry when dehydrated should be vacuum-sealed to avoid any contamination or loss of flavor by exposure to air. Freezing again is not necessary since the food is dried.

Freezing should be done with fresh foods, vacuum sealed when possible to avoid freezer burn. Storage of a year or longer is normal this way.

Dehydrated foods will last for years if protected from the elements.

Thanks Canning Nerd! This is just the info I needed. I didn't know you didn't have to vacuum seal the jars you're storing them in. This will certainly make storing my more fragile dried goods much easier.

Also glad to hear these items will keep for years. That's what I was hoping for.

Thanks again

One of the "elements" is light... you don't want to store them where there's light all the time, or in sunlight.

Thanks so much for clarifying, Canned Nerd!!! :bow:

Please take the time to invest in a book or two about drying.

Some are: "Dry It, You'll Like It", "Putting Food By" and "How to Dry Foods"

These books review what veggies need pre-treatment like blanching and give you ideas for how to use your dried foods.

Also, this tip I got from the WSU Extension Service:

"Remember also that when dehydrating, you should toss your items in a zippie or tupperware and give them a good shake a few times a day over the course of a week. This is called 'conditioning' and will help disperse moisture to prevent mold growth."

This really does work.

And yes, once they are 'conditioned', you do want to store them in a cool, dry, place. I usually store my items in glass or tupperware.

Archived