MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Apple Pie Jam

Pansy

Had this recipe from one of you last year and didn't get a chance to make it til this year. Today was the day! This stuff is delicious! Pretty too when you see the sun come through the jar - sort of amber - lovely. Can't remember who posted the recipe but thanks again!

I posted it. I make it for gifts all the time.

This has both white and brown sugar. I get so many requests for this:

Approx. 6 half pints.

APPLE PIE JAM

4 cups tart apples, peeled and finely chopped

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

4 cups sugar

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1 box pectin

1/2 teaspoon butter

Add water to chopped apples to measure 4 cups.(This is NOT 4 cups each, but water placed on top of the diced apples to come up to the 4 cup mark.) Place apples and water into large, heavy saucepan. Stir in lemon juice, cinnamon and allspice.

Measure sugars. Stir pectin into fruit. Add butter. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in both sugars. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Ladle quickly into hot, clean jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands on finger tight. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

It won't work with applesauce. It has small chunks of apples and is like apple pie.

I would use the applesauce for baking or for applebutter. That or for fruit leather.

Perhaps you can make applesauce bread, cake, or cookies and give for your holiday gifts.

Seems there is a recipe for homemade applets candies. Not sure if it uses applesauce or not. Worth a search, perhaps.

• 10 months later...
It is powdered pectin.

Does anyone more knowledgable than me know how I would go about converting this for use with pomona's pectin? I'm diabetic and would like to reduce the sugar and use pomonas.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived