MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

R ~Drying Summer squash?

shamrockus

Guest Guest

Sure can!! Here's one person's experience and tips for use:

Squash makes a yummy “chip” for snacking and dipping.

Pick young squash, ones that have yet to develop seeds, or whose seeds are just starting to develop. I slice mine as thinly as I can. If you have a “mandolin,” it will come in very handy about now. I like mine almost paper thin. Definitely no more than 1/16 inch thick. If you have to make it thicker, anything more than 1/8 inch yields a very tough product.

No blanching is necessary. Place the slices on your dehydrator trays, not touching, and dry them at 120-125 degrees for about 8 hours (for thinnest). It may take up to 12 hours or so, depending on the thickness of your slices. They will be crisp when dried.

You can season them with seasoned salt, plain salt, garlic salt, or whatever you like. Use them with dips, crush them for a salad topping, or just eat them by themselves.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/food_preservation/42037

CAT

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just an fyi.. peel them! the skins are slightly bitter.. and the kids see it. But if they are peeled.. sprinkled with taco seasoning.. just lightly.. the kids think they are eating some new taco flavored chip!

We just won't tell them!

ranch dressing in powdered form is a nice flavor.. get creative.

sliced thickly and dried.. thickly??? 1/2 inch or quartered and diced... great in soups and stews!

Archived