MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I had a checkup yesterday...

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I hate doctors so I really avoid going to them but force myself eventually, just for peace of mind.

They called me today with the blood work results and informed me that my cholesterol was high, and mentioned possibly putting me on medication (which I don't wanna do).

I don't know that much about high cholesterol, but I vaguely remember talk about natural ways with which to lower it. Does anyone have any sure fire ways to do that?

Thanks.

Guest Guest

A year ago my cholesterol was higher that it should be but not horrible. My Dr. suggested oatmeal or Cheerios. I ate one or the other almost every morning for the 6 mos. he gave me to get it back in range and it worked. It was back in the normal range and we were both happy. However, it's an ongoing battle that doesn't end so I'm still eating one or the other almost daily.

Good luck!

My doctor is the same way. Some of those statin drugs (cholesterol lowering) don't agree with people. But I think your doctor should give you all the facts - just what were your lab readings - total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, Triglycerides? Next time I go in to my doctor (when I need to for thyroid refill) I'm going to request a copy of all labs done for my files and then everytime I have labs I'll ask for copies.

Yes, Fasted, because it was also an A1C. and it was my Ldl that was coming down. We go over the numbers every 3 to 4 months ,because I am insulin dependant and I adjust my diet and my insulin. I did not add cholesterol lowering foods yet as I wanted to see how effective the polycosanol was by itself.

4 months ago my A1C was 7.3 and now it is 6.9 ,My trigliserides were 648 ,now 314 and my total cholesterol was 259 now 228. 26 ofthe dropped points LDL. I have been working with this Dr. for 3 years now and he sat down and explained all the numbers that I didn't understand, from the first time I went to see him.

I have been on the Polycosanol for 60 days and it has kept me from going on Lipitor so far. Now I will try adding the oats for my next test. I am doing this 1 step at a time so I will kmow what is making the changes.

I hope this gives you enough information, goatherder . If I left out anything, I will be happy to fill you in if I can.

SuzyQ

I know that I need to lower mine AT LEAST 40 points...mine came in at 239.

I'll get some polycosanol at the health food store today and start taking that.

I wonder why the increase of fiber into ones diet reduces cholesterol? And don't laugh, but can the oatmeal be eaten in other forums than just cereal at breakfast, and are you supposed to eat it raw? What about fiber products like metamucel, will they do the same thing in lieu of oatmeal and fibrous foods like that?

Thanks for all your help ladies.

Ok, I went to the health food store and bought some policosanol (10mg) and took 1 of those...they lady there also recommended CoQ10, which I bought (I didn't really understand why it was important other than for cardiac health) and took one of those. I ate raw oatmeal for breakfast so I'm being a good girl this morning lol...

Is there any way I can check my cholesterol without having to go to the doctor and having blood drawn there?

Thanks!

SuzyQ: Have you tried cinnamon for lowering your blood sugar? I only test A1C once a year (because I have no health insurance and blood sugar is in good range with no meds or insulin) but I love cinnamon so I add it here and there sort of like an extra boost.

All fiber is helpful in lowering cholester levels, as it absorbs the fat and carries it out of your system. All forms of oatmeal are good for you. It is not necessary to eat raw oatmeal it is good for you when it is cooked, but eat it raw if you like it that way. Other fibers are whole wheat breads, flax seed ground and added to your cereal just before eating, (always eat ground flax seed within 10 min. of grinding, for best results) raw veg, potato skins, the peels of most fruit the list is quite long.

They have over the counter cholesterol test kits, but they only give you your combined number, for seperate LDL, HDL figures, you must have it done.

CoQ10 - enzimes that are required to properly digest your food, if you are eating more fiber this could be a problem, if you are not used to eating lots of fiber you will get a lot of gas, if you are not using it.

Darlene they now sell OTC cholesterol test kits at Target and Wal-Mart. You can also get labs to do these tests without a Dr. ordering it. If you have a local Quest Diagnostics lab they have self ordered and self pay (no insurance) tests. I made a post on these before in the Pinching Pennies forum a few months back. Also, if you donate blood around here they do a cholesterol check for FREE.

Oats are just fine cooked as in oatmeal. Cheerios type cereals have cooked oats, not raw. I believe the fiber binds with the cholesterol preventing it from entering your bloodstream. It just passes on through with the fiber. For those of you into stocking up on grains, you can get oat groats which store much better than rolled oats. It's rather like the difference between flour and whole wheat.

Ironically, I like the oatmeal not cooked, with some milk poured over it...I dunno why, but the cruncy/chewey texture of the oatmeal is something I like.

Yanno what annoys me?

If the polycosanol is as good for me as it appears to have been for many others, then WHY THE HECK is the doctor talking about prespcription medications with terrible side effects when there is the potential for something more natural to accomplish the same thing?

That really ticks me off and when I go back in to have my check up I'm gonna ask him why and politely give him my NSHO.

HA!

Darlene, that is exactly what gripes me (doctors prescribing things with possible bad side effects). Exactly what Lois said - some don't know better. But apparently some are learning because when I was in the herb shop one day a lady came in saying her doctor (an MD) sent her there specifically to get some arnica cream she carries because the lady couldn't take the prescription meds anymore. Also Lois's DH's doctor telling him to try Polycosanol shows some are learning.

My Doctor gets a kick out of me. When I have test results that have improved without filling her prescriptions she smiles and says, "Whatever works". Of course, I can't do this in all cases. In a case like high cholesterol I tried some herbs & vites first. If they hadn't worked, I would have moved on to the expensive, side effect producing drug. When she prescribed Lipitor for DH, I didn't try the natural way. He had a bypass surgery and won't change his diet so in that case I felt it could be dangerous to not do the drugs.

When I let my dr know I was taking Polycosanol, she wasn't against it, but insisted I take my Lipitor too. This I did and and been doing for just a few weeks. In July, my total cholesterol was below 200 for the first time ever. I'll have to get some of my old reports and post about them. But, I can't, don't have time right now.

Archived