MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

R, tips ~Canned Spaghetti Sauce and Ketchup

Synn

Afternoon everyone.. I am in need of some recipes for home canned ketchup and spaghetti sauce.. Anyone have some that they have tried and truly love the taste? As for ketchup I am not to fond of cinnamon and allspice in it.. Whatever any one can share I would really appreciate... Slgrubbs you moderate this forum now? Have I been gone that long girl?

I have no idea why I moderate here!!!

It was quite shocking. :blink:

Hey, I am getting ready to can some speghetti sauce this weekend. Here is the recipe that I will be using.

Spaghetti Sauce Without Meat

30 pounds tomatoes

1 cup chopped onions

5 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup chopped celery or green pepper

1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)

4 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 Tablespoons oregano

4 Tablespoons minced parsley

2 teaspoons black pepper

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup vegetable oil

Yields 9 pints

Do not increase the proportion of onions, celery, peppers, or mushrooms. Wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split. Dip in cold water and slip off skins. Remove cores and quarter tomatoes.

Boil 20 minutes, uncovered, in large saucepan. Put through food mill or sieve. If desired, saute onions, garlic, celery, pepper, and mushrooms in vegetable oil until tender.

Combine sauteed vegetables and tomatoes and add remainder of spices, salt, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until thick enough for serving. At this time, the initial volume will have been reduced by nearly one-half. Stir frequently to avoid burning. Fill jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process jars as described in Table 1.

Table 1 says: Hot pack Pints 20 minutes and Quarts 25

minutes both at 10 lbs. See more info here.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5337.html

The ketchup recipe that they have has the spices

that you don't want. Have you taken a look at this

thread? It's all about ketchup!

http://www.mrssurvival.com//ubbthreads/sho...;o=&fpart=1

Good to see you back!!

In the sauce I make, I use more onions and garlic...you never use oregano in spaghetti sauce, it's used in pizza sauces instead...no green peppers or celery or sugar either...in place of oil, I use oilive oil. And I also use fresh basil from the garden, along with fresh parsley.

I was taught how to cook Italian by a woman who was originally from italy.

To get the acidity lower in your sauce, tie a whole carrot to butcher string and let it sit in the pot as the sauce simmers...the natural sweetness of the carrot will neutralize the high acidity of the tomatoes.

Quote:
To get the acidity lower in your sauce, tie a whole carrot to butcher string and let it sit in the pot as the sauce simmers...the natural sweetness of the carrot will neutralize the high acidity of the tomatoes.

This is wonderful! I know many diabetics that will appreciate this tidbit! Thanks for sharing ....

but slaps darlene with a wet noodle.. what took you so long in telling us?

*darlene SWATs westie back...*

HA!

It's a SECRET...lol But I decided to finally share it with all the wonderful people we have here at MrsSurvival...I never thought about the people who have to be careful with refined sugars but it really does work! After I'm done cooking my sauce I just throw the carrot out...knowing you westie, you'll probably chop it up and use it for something else! I just know that putting sugar in my sauces was not something I wanted to do because I'm not used to a sauce sweetened with it, so the carrot really is awesome cause it does the trick without making it too sweet.

Maybe if you're a good girl westie, I might share another secret, but come then again, you have LOTS of secrets to share too, don't ya?

*nudge-nudge*

lol

And slgrubbs, all that matters is that your family is happy with your sauce...everyone has different tastes so whatever works, works!

I hafta tell you though, I've been being a good girl lately cause I keep wanting to tease you and call you *grubby* for short...

And slgrubbs, all that matters is that your family is happy with your sauce...everyone has different tastes so whatever works, works!

I hafta tell you though, I've been being a good girl lately cause I keep wanting to tease you and call you *grubby* for short... :D

DARLENE! IF YOU CALL ME "GRUBBY" I WILL TAKE THAT HALO OFF YOUR HEAD AND STOP ON IT UNTIL IT IS INTO A MILLIION PIECES!!

Now? couldn't you take that carrot and chop it up and put it back into the sauce or is it like full of acid?

We made our sauce last night. It taste pretty good. Not as thick as I would like, but I was just going for taste.

The house smelled wonderful.

I got a pressure cooker yesterday. We looked all over town and noone has one. Not one single store, not even Walmart had one. Our feed store has been advertising that they had canning supplies all week and yesterday my husband went in and they didn't have any either. I was getting really upset. I remembered that my grandma canned and thought maybe I should ask her if I could borrow one. I hate to borrow things from people. I called and she said I could. I went over there and she handed it to me and said I could have it. She said since she was 80 years old she wouldn't be canning anymore. You have to love grandma's.

This thing is old. My FIL came over to bring tomatoes and said to my husband "Are you sure this thing is going to work?" I almost threw him out on his head! You don't insult my grandma!

We got the sauce ready, we got the pressure cooker ready. We sat around it bitting our finger nails the whole time. We took the jars out and sat and waited for that "ping". We heard one, ok breath. Now we could go back to regular life. While laying in bed we could still hear "ping".

This morning they have all sealed.

:cele: WONDERFUL!!

What kind of canner is it? Weight gauge? Seals OK?

I'll bet Grandma was THRILLED that you're doing this, and was happy her canner would be put back into use.

You know you've got a wonderful resource for RECIPES, don't you? I'm sure she'd love to share those, too!

As you get more experienced, maybe you can share some home-canned goodies with her, too.

Our pastor's wife has a grandma who lives alone, so for Christmas (and at other times) she fixes Grandma individual-sized frozen portions of foods for "homecooked" meals.

She uses muffin tins a lot, and those small plastic containers, even baggies. Muffin-sized meatloaves (cooked all at once in muffin tins), muffin-sized servings of mashed potatoes, servings of favorite casseroles, etc... her grandma REALLY looks forward to it.

Neat gift... with love, showing that she was thinking of her as she prepared them.

All American pressure canners are AWESOME! Many consumer agencies report they are the best, and personally, I'd never own anything that...I have 2...I have the monster one, which is the 941 and their biggest, and I also have the baby one, which is the 910 and their smallest.

You're gonna have a blast with your grandma's canner!

Archived