MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I have a new SIL

Synn

Well it's over.. DD was married last night.. I have some pictures.. If I can remember how to get back to Cat's site I will post them.. I am greatful to everyone who sent well wishes her way.. Now is the long wait for the baby.. But most of us have been there.

To those of you that have children who have grown up and gotten married... How do you deal with the jealousy?

Because I have it bad... It's not James really... It's the fact that she is over there with his whole family.. Her being with him doesn't bother me.. But he goes to work at night and she stays with his grandma.. But she's coming home tonight for dinner and to spend the night..Maybe once they get their own house it will be better ....

If you haven't already done so, make a connection with his family. It's a whole lot easier to have 'family' celebrations if both sides of the family are friends. After the baby arrives, I bet you will be a very valuable commodity to your DD. I do agree that she is probably working hard at making connections with his family right now.

I only have one daughter-in-law and I haven't had to deal with the jealousy because I've never met her mother. This is by my dil's wishes. DIL was raised in a terribly dysfunctional way being passed off onto relative to friend to relative. She's angry about how her mother wasn't there for her - always preferring her drugs/girlfriends to her own children but on the other hand she still wishes her mom will come through. Last Christmas she didn't come with our son to be with us for Christmas because she had special plans with Mom and Mom didn't show up. Okay, I'm rambling.

Depending on the situation or geography, some folks alternate holidays or better if SIL's mother is only involved then maybe she could come along. Also it's good to remember whether you were the perfect Mom or not, no one ever replaces the Mom who raised you.

Also I'll say I'm glad my kids have their own lives but when they have visited and leave I have this empty feeling seeing them go. I miss them if I don't hear from them too often.

Archived