MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

L ~another canning question

grace

Hi! Hoping someone can help me here. I'm trying to find info on canning pumkin pie filling. All the info I've found said that it's not recomended anymore (with in the last 10 years or so). So can't find any recipes or times for it. A good friend of mine used to can it but can't find her recipe or time either. <sigh>. I would really like the convenice of putting up some pie filling in cans right now. Freezing does me no good if the power was out and I wont always have time to do freash. My pressure canner holds pint jars only.

Thanks!

Kim

I canned pumpkin a few years ago (I still have pumpkin )

I cubed mine and didn't put any seasoning in it, did that after I opened it to make a pie. Also, I used a pressure canner. I canned Connecticut Field Pumpkins. They were great. Also, your filling will look different (lighter) and taste more like a pumpkin. DH loves it, even better than Libby.

Hi!

I am glad you asked this question! I also want to can pumpkin this year and only see it cubed and then canned. I was wondering the same as you about pureed pumpkin.

Last year I made a bunch of fresh pumpkin pies for a Thanksgiving dinner held at our church for the children. I didn't know if they'd love it or hate it (texture reasons!) and they LOVED the pies! All of the adults there to help ate what was left and even many of them had never had pumpkin pies made with fresh pumpkin...amazing

We will be stocking up on it here (pumpkin, that is!) I have an awesome pumpkin bread recipe that I'll have to post. It replaced zucchini bread for us. It's so dang yummy!

Good luck with your pumpkin! (and thanks to those who replied )

Shawna

Archived