MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Does anyone have a really good pizza dough recipe to share??

Thanks, Shawna. I've made pizza dough once and wasn't entirely happy with the outcome so I won't post that unless no one else does (which is unlikely). I got a big ol' pizza stone and it seemed to take forever and a day to heat it up. It's about time I tried again.

Here's the pizza dough I always make and bake on a pizza stone...it's one of Emeril's recipes and it's always a hit!

Emeril's Pizza Dough

1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)

1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast

1 teaspoon honey

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

Yellow cornmeal, for sprinkling the baking sheet

In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, honey, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, stirring to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until the dough is smooth but still slightly sticky. You might not need all of the flour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes.

Oil a large mixing bowl with remaining olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place, free from drafts until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Variations:

Parmesan Pizza Dough:

Substitute 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese for 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour. Use a pinch of salt instead of 1 teaspoon. Proceed as directed above.

Oregano Pizza Dough:

Stir 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano in with the flour and proceed as directed above.

I was always getting those "Chef Boyardee" pizza mixes

and I thought I know I can make mine just as easy. Well you

know me and my mixes. I make this on a need basis,

because I keep my mixes in the pantry and I keep my

yeast in the fridge.

Pizza Dough Mix

2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour

1 pkg active dry yeast

2 tsp. salt

In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients. Place the

mix in an airtight container.

For the pizza (makes 2 12" pizzas)

1 pkg pizza dough mix

2 Tbs. olive oil

1 c. warm water

Your fixings

Bake at 425 for 20 to 25 min.

My favorite:

QUICK AND EASY PIZZA DOUGH

2 1/2 - 3 c flour

1 pkg dry yeast (about 1 Tbsp)

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)

1 tsp crumbled oregano (or to taste)

1 c warm water

2 Tbsp oil

Combine 1 1/2 c flour and rest of dry ingredients in bowl; stir in water & oil, beat at low speed of mixer for 1 1/2 minutes, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Stir in as much remaining flour as you can with a wooden spoon. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6-8 min. total).

(THIN CRUST)

Preheat oven to 425º F. Cover dough & let rest 10 minutes. Shape to fit greased pizza pans. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Bring out of oven, spread pizza sauce over top, top with desired ingredients, ending with cheese & a sprinkling of oregano. Return to oven; bake about 15 minutes more.

(THICK CRUST)

Place dough in a greased bowl, turn once to coat well. Cover dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hr). Punch down, divide in half (to fit 2 9” pizza pans). Cover; let rest 10 min. With greased fingers, pat dough into pans, forming edges. Cover; let rise until nearly doubled (30-45 min). Bake in a preheated 375º F oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned. Bring out of oven, spread pizza sauce over top, top with desired ingredients, ending with cheese & a sprinkling of oregano. Return to oven; bake about 20 minutes more. Let stand 5 min before serving.

Raves! Raves! First time in over 7 years I made pizza. I used Shawna's sauce and this time I did Darlene's crust. Put olives, marinated artichokes sliced, parmesan and fresh mozarella on it.

Now here's where I need help (one of you come on over here and show me how): I put cornmeal on the stone and it immediately scorched. When I slid the pizza off the cookie sheet (with cornmeal under it) onto the stone it WAS a big oval but it turned into an ameoba (sp). But it did taste good. My stone instructions said to preheat to 500 for 15 min. and then turn down to 450-475. I did 450 baking the pizza for 20 min. So what temps and times are you using and do you make perfectly round pizzas or ameobas like me?

I froze half of the crust for another time. Now I plan to make up a batch of the sauce and more dough for next time the kids come down.

Thanks, folks!

lol, Peaceful, your post reminds me that I sometimes forget that people use different *gadgets* to accomplish the same thing...

I have a very large wooden paddle that is designed for putting pizzas in the oven...kinda like what you see at pizza shops sometimes. What I do is spread some cornmeal on the paddle, roll my dough out on the counter, then pick it up and put it on top of the paddle, over the cornmeal. I then add my sauce, cheeses and whatever else I want on that particular pizza, then slide the raw pizza off the paddle onto the stone in the oven....the cornmeal will scorch if placed directly onto the pizza stone in the oven...the cornmeal is just used to facilitate the ease of transferring a raw crust from one utensil to the stone. I usually bake my pizzas at 500...I don't think I've ever timed it, I just take it out when it *looks right*.

I don't do perfectly circular pizzas...mine are amoeba shaped too...the family LOVES them and nobody has ever minded that they aren't a cookie cutter perfect circle.

I'll be over on Friday and we'll have a big pizza party...we'll see who can do the best amoeba shape!

lol

Archived