MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I wonder...

Guest Guest

Hello to all you great cooks! I wonder if any of you could give me a recipee for tomato sauce for either spaguetti or lasagna...with out using the canned stuff...I'd like to try something from scratch...and if there are any recipees that you'd like to share with me (simple ones to start with...go easy on me smile.gif)that are from scratch, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you everybody!

------------------

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, and His love endures forever!

This is how I make tomato sauce for over the top of spaghetti - quick and easy.

about 8 tomatoes

2 medium onions, chopped fine

1 clove garlic, chopped fine

1 teaspoon sugar

few sprigs fresh oregano

salt and pepper.

Heat a little olive oil in a pan and add the onions, cook until soft, but not overcoloured. Meanwhile, skin the tomatoes(I don't usually bother, though, and add all the parts) if wanted, and chop roughly. Add to pan with rest of ingredients and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so.

I use this also as a base for our vegetarian lasagne, but add chpped vegetables, mushrooms, soya etc to bulk it out. Then it gets layered in a dish with the lasagne, and is topped off with bechamel sauce and lots of grated cheese on top and into a hot oven for 30 minutes or so. We like garlic bread with ours, and salad.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Lowlander! I think I'm just going to have to invite myself over to your place for supper sometime...I'd love to visit England, and I'd love to try your food! For now, I'll just settle with trying your recipe... frown.gif

About the tomatoes...I normally use Roma tomatoes...which do you recommend for this meal? Again, thanks!

Also, is there a cookbook that you recommend that has recipies from scratch? My DH is moving home again (after being up north, studying) so I'll be cooking a lot again! YEAH! I'm excited! smile.gif

------------------

Any tomatoes are suitable. We can't often get Italian plum tomatoes (like the tinned ones) over here fresh, but I grow some of my own most years, but never enough. I use whatever I can get. For good basic cooking, the recommended one in the UK is anything by Delia Smith - have you heard of her? I'm not her biggest fan, to be honest, but she is good for basic recipes and methods. Hope this helps.

------------------

This is great Lowlander! Thanks for the info! I look forward to trying it! It's too early now, but maybe tonight or sometime this week...thanks for your help! liplick.gif "Num, num" like my DD says!

------------------

Wow! Thanks, Hill! Looking at those will keep me out of trouble...for a little bit, anyway! wink.gif

------------------

Did you know Hilly that the real spaghetti sauce is just a thin watery red juice from the tomato with some garlic added?

The Americans americanized the sauce to fit their taste.

My Grandmother who came from Avellino Italy near Naples always made her sauce thin but she also simmered meatballs and Braciola, a round steak rolled with spices, fresh garlic and parsley some basil and oregano and some parmesan cheese all fresh and then tied with string and simmered in the sauce for hours. The meat flavor complimented the thin sauce which is lightly dribbled across fresh home made pasta along with a sprinkle of fresh parmesan cheese.

I personally like more than a taste of sauce with lots of chunky tomatoes instead of the watery sauce.

I do have to say even though Grans sauce was watery it sure tasted good and not a noodle was left in the big serving bowls when all our family got together every Sunday for dinner after church.

------------------

snoop2.gif