MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

TreatingThyroid Disease naturally?

ozzzyyy

You were reading my mind, Mother. I just finished reading "Lucifer's Hammer" and one of the characters was talking about making his insulin from sheep. It got me thinking. I know it won't be as simple as say "making a batch of soap"...lol....but it is worth looking into. At least if you came to a life or death situation, you might have an option.

Whitewolf

• 1 year later...

My experience with hypothyroidism is not a popular one but I've always lived on the edge when it comes to depending on doctors and prescription drugs. In humble respect, I know that some have to rely on medical assistance and I'm only going to share what has worked for me, may not be beneficial for all. I, too, was seriously concerned that if things got tough in this world, I would need to know how to live prescription drug free.

10 years ago I was diagnosed with a nearly dead thyroid and it matched the nearly dead symptoms I was experiencing with intense pain in every joint in my body,dry skin & dandruff, my weight soaring upwards and my need to sleep constantly. I really thought it would be a diagnosis of something far graver than thryroid disease.

I gratefully accepted the diagnosis and for many years took between .25 - 100 grams of synthroid. All the while researching and begging my MD to put me on armour a more natural form of thyroid replacement extracted from pig thyroids instead of the synthetic-made synthroid. They would not budge and kept me on synthroid upping and lowering the dose as they saw fit. During that time I did not feel 100%...the severe symptoms had subsided but my weight no matter what little I ate or excercise program I would attempt would not make the pounds come off. After the 20th or so time of begging to at least try armour thyroid replacement with no results, I decided to let the prescription end and not refill it.

It's been 3 years since that time and my cure has been a low-carb lifestyle. I have eliminated white flours, sugar, and many starches from my diet. I have lost and kept off 45 pounds, dropping 4 pant sizes. I have the most amazing skin, nails and hair. At 42 years old I feel more energized than I did during most of 20's and 30's! That is my story of coming off synthroid and finding a way that works for me.

That's incredible Ginger. Congratulations. Could you tell us more about what you do eat? We all need to know different ways that different people handle dis-eases so that we might have more choices to make when it comes to our health.

((( )))

I believe that my starchy diet throughout my childhood and into my adulthood shot my thyroid outta wack. We grew up on pastas, potatoes,sugary cereal and white bread....I can fully see that that our family's dietary needs were severely lacking fresh vegetables and good proteins. Foods now that I crave as I abstain from non-nutritional choices.

I now basically I follow the Atkins diet. No sugar, no bread and no potatoes. I'm not a fanatic, still enjoying caffeine and many condiments that can be a no no on the Atkins plan. I figure I am now the picky-eater that I was never allowed to be as a child. I no longer have to have what every one else is having...only the food groups that my body burns as fuel. Thus far it has been working for me.

A typical day for me is as follows:

I eat 3 eggs and a type of meat every breakfast

I eat green leafy salads, steamed veggies, cottage cheese and more protein for lunch and dinners.

I snack on nuts, cheese and lately I've added popcorn with no ill effects.

Are you familiar with the blood type diet, Ginger? I've not really researched it but I'm finding that what little I've read tends to be pretty correct for some. Some people, according to this diet, do better with more protein. I believe that is type O.

((( )))

Archived