cheap, easy to store and very filling.

I am looking for bean flour recipes. Here are a few but

I am looking for more.

3-MINUTE ÒCREAM OF CHICKENÓ SOUP

3 c. boiling water

1 T. chicken bouillon or soup base

1/2 c. fine white bean flour

1 c. diced chicken pieces (opt.)

In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk bean flour into boiling water and flavoring. Stir and cook 3 minutes. Blend 1 minute for a ÒsouperÓ creamy texture. Add chicken, if used. Serves 2-3. (For vegetarians, use vegetable bouillon, or ÒchickenÓ flavored soup mix in place of chicken bouillon.) This soup can be used as a gravy that not only tastes good, but is good for you because it is fat free! For those who use milk, you can use one-half milk or add about 1/4 cup evaporated milk to cooked soup. Non-dairy creamer may also be added (about 1/4 cup). Great for gravy or cream sauce.

This soup is also excellent with pasta and/or up to 1 1/2 cups cooked potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, etc. Use 1 cup more water (4 cups total) and cook veggies until tender, then whisk in bean flour and cook 2 minutes after soup thickens.

Also great with a little curry powder and served as a gravy over brown rice

BEAN CAKES

Leftover cooked pinto beans

1 med. onion, chopped fine

1/2 c. evaporated milk

Flour (enough to make patties)

Salt & pepper to taste

Oil or shortening

Mash leftover pinto beans. Add onion and milk. Add enough flour to make patties. Place in pan with oil (shortening), salt and pepper to taste. Fry until brown.

Pinto Bean Cake

1 cup white sugar

1/4 cup butter

1 egg

2 cups cooked pinto beans, mashed

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup golden raisins

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 cup chopped pecans

2 cups diced apple without peel

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease one 9 or 10 inch tube pan.

Cream butter or margarine and sugar together. Add the beaten egg and mix well. Stir in the mashed cooked beans and the vanilla.

Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and ground allspice together. Add the chopped pecans, golden raisins, and the diced apples to the flour mixture. Stir to coat. Pour flour mixture into the creamed mixture and stir until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Dribble with a simple confectioner's sugar icing and garnish with candied cherries and pecan halves, if desired.

• 1 year later...

Archived