MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

silver fish

Kygal

I know that silver fish like it best where it's damp so anything that will dry an area should help. Also lighting up an area helps to dry it even if it's just a small night light. Perhaps diatomaceous earth, the kind you buy in garden centers, not swimming pool types, would probably work also. I know it works for certain insects and it's non toxic to humans.

That's my best two guesses.

Mother

This will give you more info than you probably want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

Elimination

Although commonly considered a pest, the damage caused by silverfish is negligible and the animals have no effect on human health, although they are known to cause emotional distress to bug haters. In buildings, silverfish can only exist in environments with available humidity and crevices. If these two conditions are eliminated, the silverfish will disappear. Other measures can eliminate or decimate the silverfish population, albeit temporary:

A 1:1-ratio dispersion of borax and sugar is a reliable bait to kill silverfish.

The scent of a sal ammoniac solution should drive away silverfish in 24 hours.

To capture silverfish, sprinkle plaster on a wet, white cotton cloth, put it in a corner overnight, near the silverfish's hideout.

Another useful way to capture silverfish is to put a grated potato on a slab by their hideout overnight. The silverfish will crawl into the potato to feed. The next morning, the whole potato, along with the silverfish inside, can be disposed of.

Lois thanks!

this was interesting!!!!

Elimination

Although commonly considered a pest, the damage caused by silverfish is negligible and the animals have no effect on human health, although they are known to cause emotional distress to bug haters. In buildings, silverfish can only exist in environments with available humidity and crevices. If these two conditions are eliminated, the silverfish will disappear. Other measures can eliminate or decimate the silverfish population, albeit temporary:

* A 1:1-ratio dispersion of borax and sugar is a reliable bait to kill silverfish.

* The scent of a sal ammoniac solution should drive away silverfish in 24 hours.

* To capture silverfish, sprinkle plaster on a wet, white cotton cloth, put it in a corner overnight, near the silverfish's hideout.

* Another useful way to capture silverfish is to put a grated potato on a slab by their hideout overnight. The silverfish will crawl into the potato to feed. The next morning, the whole potato, along with the silverfish inside, can be disposed of.

Hey Lois, thanks, that was pretty interesting info. I don't have silverfish but I was wonderning if it would work with some crawlies in my garden without harming beneficial ones. Thanks again, Mother

so far i have only seen one. but there is no such thing as only ONE silverfish, same as there is no such thing as only ONE cockraoch...lol i just dislike having silverfish about. they were so bad in one place i lived in that we could amuse ourselves while sitting on the can by squashing the bugs as they scurried past you feet!!

That's gross! How big are they anyway...I was thinking of something half-an-inch or less, but if they can eat a whole potato...! The worst I've ever had to deal with is ants and spiders.

~Jo

use the boric acid. The sugar is used as the food bait. The boric acid will kill the silver fish.

Place the boric acid inside cupboards, behind stove and refrigerator. Since you have children, don't place it where the kids can get into it. Boric acid will kill cockroaches, silver fish, ants and any bug that it gets on.

Archived