MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canned Bacon

When I was a little girl we used to buy canned bacon. It was in a can about the size of a can of asparagus. The bacon (full slices) was salt cured and wrapped in a type of wax paper and then canned. Has anybody seen this lately or know of a supplier?

I remember seeing canned bacon when I was a child, but I haven't seen it for years. I looked for it in '98-'99, and never found any. I even went so far as to can some myself but, that was a disaster! It smelled horrible! And the idea of actually using it for beans or eating it made me queasy! I was so worried that I must have asked 10 times what I was doing wrong! Then, my smart aleck husband came home from work and said it smelled just like the bacon his aunts & grandmother canned in Virginia when he was young. His parents, siblings and he used to visit every summer, and he learned a lot for a city boy.

After that, I refused to use the stuff I canned... I couldn't get past the smell!

Then, I found the vacuum sealed pouches of bacon by 'Ready Crisp' and 'Hormel'. They are awesome! They take just a few seconds in the microwave, or you can pan fry them, or even eat them cold. They are also shelf stable until you open the package. As far as cost, I think it's pretty comparable to bacon in the cold case that's uncooked. You should try a package and see if your family likes it.

If you live near a Sam's Club or Costco, you can get larger packages that are a bit cheaper than the regular grocery store prices, and you can also find Hormel (real) bacon pieces in a large can.

If you manage to find canned bacon, let us know where and how much. I tried to google it, but I didn't find a source.

I too, remember canned Bacon and actually had some in my p reps many years ago, remember it being qquit fatty. It is interesting the "cooked" Bacon so will put that on my Costco list to get some and try it. Thanks for the update.

Do you have a Sav-A-Lot store in your vicinity? DH and I checked out the store near us a few years back and he was commenting on the bacon they sold in a can. I believe it was imported. Don't know if they still carry it, though.

Wonder if they could order it for you? Maybe all their stores don't carry it, or maybe they quit carrying it. If some of their other stores have it, they would probably get it sent to your store if you asked. Worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the type your talking about, I think the brand was DAK and was imported from the Netherlands, I beleive we have some caned ham by the same company at the present time.

Archived