MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Guest Guest

But in looking at Schoolmarm's updated list, are these the only areas that nobody has claimed to research for the manual?

Asteroid

Tidal Wave

Lahar (what in the heck is a lahar...i have no lahar provisions rofl)

Train/Truck-chemical or biological accident

War

Death

Are these the only areas (the problem children) that need a *mama* to rescue them?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahar

A lahar, is a type of mudflow composed of pyroclastic material and water that flows down from a volcano, typically along a river valley.

Lahars have the consistency of concrete: wet when moving, then solid when stopped. Lahars can be huge: the Osceola lahar produced 5,600 years ago by Mount Rainier in Washington state produced a wall of mud 180 m (600 feet) deep in the White River canyon and extends over an area of over 320 km².

( More info at the site above)

Um????? Schoolmarm??? Ummm help here!

Okay, here goes. I don't think volcano is done either. As far as I know those's are the only things on Schoolmarm's original list that hasn't been tackled yet. I have no idea what all might have actually been turned in to her though. I did think that perhaps the train/truck chemical/bio accident might be added to her Chem/bio terrorism item though, if she would want to do that.

The volcano/laher thing could go together and as we have very few of those it might be possible to either just touch on them with a suggestion that Lois gave. Just mention that they should keep an ear to what the authorities tell you about them and have your BOB's packed well. The same thing actually for the bio/chem accident as apposed to terrorism acts.

Tidal wave might go with earthquakes which Becca Anne has or be part of the hurricane prep but the best bet there is also to grab you Bob's and go if possible.

War is another story. We have never had a war on the country's land since the Civil War, have we? But it's something that probably should at least be debated and the debate added maybe.

I wondered if death shouldn't be listed in the basic prep part as most of what we'd want to add for that would be handling and preparing the bodies (sounds dire) if there is no one else to do so. There's some information on that from the old book that Waiting has been posting and perhaps someone would want to dig out some of that to rewrite and use as it's pretty basic I believe, or go talk to a mortician about what a person could do at home if an emergency like the pandemic broke out.

Those are my thoughts on the original list and we certainly can do a book up with just those but that doesn't help anyone really get ready and it would be redundant for each disaster to have the same list. So,,,where do we go with the basic section. Would you like me to break it down into smaller items? Play tag and tell some of the members they are "IT"?

Mother, I don't believe I have anything that hasn't been

posted. Darlene, would it be possible to establish another

forumm where completed material could be deposited for

safe keeping or a possible rewrite?

I think the manual needs to deal with particular types

of disasters which effect the members. Other types of

disasters, such as a lahar, might be mentioned but not

a great deal of space given to it.

I also agree that a response from the membership is

definitely needed on whether or not we are going to

continual with this manual and how much time each

member can give. Frankly, it is no use saying yes go

on with the manual but I can't help, IMO.

Yes, Schoolmarm, I can make another forum where the completed areas are finished.

As to the lack of response, I've just decided something that I hope ya'll will be comfortable with.

Sometimes, or perhaps many times, I have stood alone for something I've felt strongly about. Sometimes God has burdened my heart with something, even though all those around me are skeptical or disbelieving. Ironically, He has placed that burden for a reason, even if I don't understand, and that is how I feel about this manual.

For me, it's not important what others at this moment may feel as far as support, it's something that *I* feel strongly about that is needed. Not one of us can look into the near future and know the precise moment we would want to print off a copy fast for ourselves, or for someone we care about, but there is alot of valuable information contained hidden in this site in posts gone by, and by recent writings from current members.

I'll commit some more time to focus on this to get this finished...I'll be willing to do searches on the site for key words to pull out the gems that are hidden beneath hundreds and thousands of posts.

I want to see this manual completed. I felt at the time that we decided to do it, that it was important, and today, I feel even moreso that way.

If you and mother will work with me, and whoever else might want to volunteer, I'd like to see this completed. I don't like throwing all the hard work that has been put forth thus far, into a dark closet to be forgotten when it is something each and every one of us could benefit from.

So yes, I'm working on the hurricane section, just give me another section that you need done and I'll tackle that. If I run into a problem of if I don't know the area well, I'll just ask lots of questions.

One way or the other, I wanna slap pixie's cover that she designed on this manual and share with with pride with those I care about, and THAT is all I have to say about this for now.

*darlene rolls up her sleeves, kicks off her shoes, grabs a cup of green tea and starts searching...*

Here is a site that may also be of some help if we need a little more info. My DD found it.

http://www.librum.us/

just a small sample of titles....

Code Title / Year.

AFB A Farm Book, 1849.

AG. Assayers Guide. 1852.

ATAOF. A Thousand and One Formulas. 1920.

CFG Cotton Fabrics Glossary. 1907.

COM. Cassel's (Hasluck) Cyclopedia of Mechanics, 1904.

Dicks. Dicks Encyclopedia of Practical Receipts and Processes. 1875.

FB Farm Blacksmithing. 1901.

Dealing with the dead is going to be a tough subject to cover and I don't know how much info I'll be able to get but I'll try it. I'm not real articulate but y'all have said not to worry about that. So...How soon did you say you needed the info?

Quote:
I am not good at writing stuff, but would be willing to try asteoid. I feel that this is an important project and really want to see it completed. Ma Steel

Mother & I would deeply appreciate if you would write up
asteroids. We will be here to help you if you need it.
Thanks Ma Steel!

Rox

Waiting, that looks good. Don't hesitate to take some of the info from the book you have even though it's old. Or use some of the old books that Lois has posted. They look like they might have some good info for the whole book. It might be just what we need at that time.

When you are writing you might mention that "these are things that were done in the past" so it's not like you are advising it. You might want to see if you can check on some of the laws about the dead. I believe it might be different from state to state but what are the laws in an emergency? I guess a disclaimer might be put in about following what the officials reccomend but if there IS nothing, then do this......Thank you so much for offering to do this.

Ma Steele, Schoolmarm is right, we appreciate whatever you can come up with.

Pogo? do you think you could look at the Outline for the basic prep and see if there's something on there you feel up to tackling. If you don't want to do a whole subject maybe one portion of it?

Lois, what can I say. You are a glutten for punishment but we will take all you are willing to offer. Please take your pick.

Remember, all of you, there is a lot of info already on here so if you want to just pull it out and put it in a readable format, feel free.

Schoolmarm and I will be getting the particulars of how we are going to put all this together soon and then we'll let you know. Until that time, post it all here and give others a chance to add input and we will go from there. Post outlines first if you want to save some rewriting or if it's just a small amount of info, just post it.

This is a great start.

waiting...a thought that came to mine was the stages of grieving, but I don't recall what they are...

Other thoughts that come to mind, is what if we're in an emergency as a country and normal burial services aren't available...if we had to (God forbid) handle it ourselves, what is the safest and healthiest way to do this...

I dunno if that's necessary, but i just tend to think along *cover all bases* lines of thinking.

Mother- I'll be putting a disclaimer in it. Also, will add your idea about "this is what was done in the past." So glad everyone is putting in their thoughts. Many brains is better than one. The laws for each state would be too many to add so when I post the draft y'all tell me what ya think of what I've written.

Darlene- I've included the stages of grieving in the AFTERWARDS part and the buriel (if we have to do it ourselves) in the BURIEL section. Also added another short section on ROOM PATIENT WAS IN and how to deal with that. If y'all don't think this should be part of this I'll mark it off.

Those are great additions Waiting. I belive you have a handle on it. Thanks.

Lois, I'll go look at those posts, perhaps we can pull them as is. I supppose it's okay to USE anything we find on here???? Darlene?

(DRAFT 1)

DEATH

During normal conditions, doctors and health officials follow guidelines set up by your state.

In a disaster, people may be left to their own devices or there may be information forthcoming from authorites on guidelines to follow.

In the event there is no information and health concerns demand a solution, would you know how to go about the task?

As much as we would rather not have to think about or have to do this, it may be necessary.

The following information is a brief description of what has been done in the past.

DISCLAIMER: When dealing with a death situation, legalities may come into play and the following is not to be construed as advice.

1-SICKNESS DOCUMENTATION- When someone is ill and being taken care of at home and especially during a disaster situation, it is imperative to document, day by day, the symptoms and what actions you took. This will also help you keep up with the timing of medications and if they were of help. This documentation will be important later if authorities want to verify a death.

2-LOVED ONE HAS DIED--WHAT TO DO NOW?-From "The People's Home Library"-If not certain of death, keep body until signs of decay are seen. After you are sure they are gone, be sure to make a death certificate with the persons' name,age, address, birthdate, date of death, time of death,

what you believe was cause of death or if not known, the symptoms the person had. If possible get two or three people to witness and sign/date the document.

3-PREPARING THE BODY-From "People's Home Library"-

a. Straighten limbs and put arms side by side or across

chest

b. Close eyelids and keep closed

c. If false teeth were worn, put in mouth soon after death

before jaws set

d. Tie handkerchief on top of head, tight enough to make

mouth close and look natural

e. Comb hair. If woman, also braid it.

f. Wash and dress body. (If body is clean, no need to do

this.)

g. Tie knees and ankles together with a broad bandage

h. Can bind hands in place, if necessary

i. Make body look as natural and comfortable as possible

This is what was done in 1995 for people that died from Marburg, an infectious disease:

1. The team dresses in a bio safety outfit needed to

handle the body.

2. The first layer is a green nurses uniform, gloves, and

rubber boots.

3. The second layer they put on a suit that kind of looks

like an astronaut suit that covers their entire body,

head to toe, a mask, another pair of gloves, and pro-

tective goggles.

4. When arriving at the home of the desceased Marburg

patient, they disinfected the home with chlorine and

then put the body in a plastic bag along with desceased

clothing and any personnal items that might have been

contaminated.

5. Once bag was sealed it was sprayed with disinfectant

so was the house, once again, and body was removed.

6. Graves were dug 2 meters (6.56') deep for safety

reasons.

4.BURIEL-A place should be determined ahead of time. Try to find a place that is away from your water source. Body can be wrapped in cloth or plastic or if you have time, build a casket. The grave should be at least 6' (See above). Cover the grave with rocks to keep animals from tampering with it. Write location down on death certificate in the event authorities wish to examine remains.

5-SERVICES-Observe your family traditions.

6-AFTERWARDS-Every person grieves differently.In children it can lead to behavorial and/or emotional problems. Most go through these steps in just a few weeks. For others, it may take more time. Some may feel they will forget the person who just died and may feel they need permission to go on living. To assist this person, suggest a ritual of farewell.

The Stages of Grieving Are:

1. DENIEL-Person believes the deceased will return but

know that they won't.

2. BARGAINING-In this stage, person makes "deals" with God

to do something.

3. ANGER-This is a universal common feeling. They are

angry at the person who died and left them. They may

also be angry at themselves for not being able to pre-

vent the death or they may be angry at someone else for

not doing enough to prevent the death.

4. DEPRESSION-This includes but is not limited to crying,

withdrawal, or it can show up as destructive behavior.

5. ACCEPTANCE-This is when the person comes to terms with

the situation without the feelings of hostility and

faces reality in a constructive way.

TO HELP OTHERS GRIEVE: Share their sorrow and allow them

to talk about their feelings of loss. Share memories of the

deceased.

Don't say "It was for the best" or "You'll get over it. It'll just take time." This is false comfort.

It will take effort to live again in the present and not to dwell on the past. Accept life is for the living.

ROOM PATIENT WAS IN-Throw out all contaminated papers, wipe down and scrub walls,floors,woodwork, everything, with a disinfectant cleaner. Leave room unoccupied several days, if possible and air it out.

That is great work. Not only a good job Waiting, but done in record time. Thank you so much.

Lois just let me know that she moved a post by Buttercup on this subject so that we could all take a look at it. If Buttercup doesn't mind, do you think we could incorporate these two together? I think she has some different info from yours.

Quote:
Mother originally posted:

...Pogo? do you think you could look at the Outline for the basic prep and see if there's something on there you feel up to tackling. If you don't want to do a whole subject maybe one portion of it?...

Mother, is this where you want me to look? 'Cause I see very few names in there, showing that someone is covering that section!

Archived