MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My herbal BOB chapter two - nausea

5th graders mama

***The information contained in this post is for educational purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice.***

Not nearly as debilitating as vomiting, nausea can nonetheless be a significant health issue. Eating, and eating properly, is crucial to good health and resiliency.

The herbal treatment of nausea is hugely varied. One can walk over to their window pots and snip a few basil leaves, stroll out to the garden for some peppermint, or reach in the cupboard for my personal favorite – ginger. Each of these herbs thrive in different settings, each is highly successful as a “storage” plant, so we will be covering them all in this chapter of our herbal BOB’s.

Basil – too many varieties to focus on any specific one, nor does it particularly matter when treating nausea. Keep in mind however, that the more cultivated a plant is, the less likely it is to thrive in harsh conditions or produce viable seed. Basil likes well aerated soil, needs a weed free environment and should be harvested well before first frost for your region. It has a flavor that turns harsh after blooming, so deadhead your plants. This is a technique by which one prolongs the leafy growth by LIBERALLY chopping off the top of the plant to prevent blossoms from forming. Any plant changes nature when blooming – all of the energy goes into feeding the blossom rather than the leaves, very similar to what happens nutritionally to mammals when pregnant. The leaves and roots thus become less potent in all of their abilities – so harvest before blooming occurs. It can be grown very nicely on a window sill as well as in outside containers or in the ground. It is annual, green varieties often seed true, but generally will not volunteer in your garden. A personal note – most basil’s are listed as being sun loving… which is true, however the plant does need some shade if you live in a region, as I do, that runs 90+ for much of the summer. An infusion of several leaves, fresh or dried, in tepid water (remember, not boiling) is a wonderful tummy tonic. It is safe for infants and children, having a historic use as a tonic for gas in babies. Use 2-3 Cups of infusion daily.

Peppermint – the mint family at large is good for an infusion for nausea, but peppermint (M. piperita) should be your first choice. Nearly every ancient civilization’s “medical records” indicate a use of mint for stomach disorders or digestive issues. If you are uncertain as to which mint you have, no worries, while one may be more potent than the other, your mint infusion will help calm the stomach no matter what. Mint gets a bad reputation for destroying or taking over gardens. I blame the gardener, not the plant, for this problem. My personal garden includes nearly 20 mint varieties and not one has invaded a space I didn’t want it – management is simple, HARVEST YOUR CROP. I cut my plants to about 2 inches above the ground when I harvest for drying and I have a lovely bed in the spring. My plants have to spend so much energy growing vertically that they do not seem to need to send runners vertically. Mint will grow in most soils, but prefer moisture and some shade. Those of you whom are lucky enough to have streams nearby probably have a native mint growing along it. Do not purchase mint seed packets as mint does not grow true and you will have disappointing results. For abdominal cramping, use scalded milk as the liquid basis of your infusion rather than water. Mint can be propagated from root divisions or stem cuttings. When taking a stem cutting, cut off the first 2 inches of the stem and use it for something else, then take the next 4-6 inches, make sure to have at least 2 sets of leaves, dip in a rooting hormone and plant. You will also have great success if rooting through a stem division as listed in BOB chapter 1, chamomile. The mint family is a very safe family, but its use should be limited to those over the age of 2 and restricted in pregnant and lactating mothers. Treat children in 1/3 segments of the adult dose.

Ginger – Although not indigenous to North America, and not likely to grow well in most of this continent’s climate, I would be remiss if I did not include Ginger for this malady. Ginger is a spice, rather than an herb, and is so easy to preserve and store that you must give it consideration as part of your herbal medicine chest preparation. To start with, a recipe:

Crystallized Ginger

1 1/2 lb Gingerroot, fresh, young

3 1/2 C Sugar

Trim the small side knobs from the gingerroot and reserve for another use. Cut the larger segments into 1 inch pieces, peel and slice lengthwise 1/8 to ¼ inch thick. In a large, heavy saucepan, cover the gingerroot with 8 cups cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and barely simmer for 1 hour. In another large heavy saucepan, combine 3 cups sugar with 1 1/2 cups water and cook this mix over moderately low heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Drain the gingerroot and add it to the sugar syrup. Drain the gingerroot and add it to the sugar syrup. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to moderately low and barely simmer the mixture for 2 hours, or until the gingerroot is translucent. With a slotted spoon, transfer the gingerroot to a piece of parchment or waxed paper, saving the syrup for another use. Let the gingerroot cool until it can be handled and roll it in the remaining sugar, coating well. The sugar coating will prevent the ginger pieces from sticking together. Keep the crystallized ginger in an airtight container. Properly done it will store for a year or better.

Entire books have been written of the spice ginger. It deserves more space that we can give it here, but I leave that research to other. Ginger should be used with some minor caution in a survival situation as it is both diaphoretic and diuretic. In other words, you may see an increase in sweating and urination. In Chinese medicine this is a “warming” treatment for strengthening the kidneys, bladder and uterus. Ginger may be used for children over the age of 2. Ginger may be used by children over 2 years of age to treat nausea, digestive cramping, and headaches in a proportion that is 1/3 of the adult treatment. i.e. 1/3 C of infusion 2-3 times daily.

Your infusion can be varied as you like, generally 3 or 4 slices of fresh root, or simply 1 of the above recipe makes a cup of infusion. Crystallized ginger may be chewed like gum, a developed taste due to its peppery bite.

Ginger is highly effective when treating nausea due to motion sickness!

oh.. my mouth is watering. Maybe I'll stroll down to the kitchen and post my Crystallized Ginger and Cranberry Gingerbread Recipe sometime today.

oh LOooooooiiiiiiissssssssss...... Motherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr? Additions?

The ginger tea is excellant for colds or flu like symtoms, because of warming which makes you sweat the cold out of your system, ginger tea is a great addition to your med BOB.

As my DD suzyQ pointed out peppermint should be used cautiously if you have high blood pressure, lower doses can be used effectively.

Can't think of anything else mamacat.

safety factors... from my notes>>>

Basil...no uterine stimulant has been id in basil, but given it's pervasive multicutural use as a menstruation promote and labor insuce, pregnant women and men should probably limit thier amount to culinary amounts. for those who are not pregnant or nursing or who have liver disease basil is considered safe in recommended doages... check with dr. before using for medicale use... if upset stomach or diarrehea stop using or symptoms for use of basil isn't gone in two weeks stop taking...

ginger...if have history of miscarrage do not take more then 1 gram ... can cause heartbun in some people

mint...pure menthol if ingested is poisonous ...pure peppermint oil can cause toxic effects such as cardiac arrhythmias.

please do not think i am trying to scare anyone from herbs... but if you are going to use them as a med please do your homework. on the good and the bad...

We have wild ginger growing near us that is a pretty effective substitute for most anything regular ginger will work for though it is a different plant. It grows normally along creek beds or in damp shady areas. One thing I have noted in some users of ginger, all kinds, is that it can cause strange dreams if taken too close to bedtime.

These posts are designed as general guidelines for use of herbs during emergency situations. That is why they start with the disclaimer

***The information contained in this post is for educational purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice.***

We ALL need to do our homework. A general guideline points readers in the first step of herbalism. It would be impossible for us to list the numerous side effects and medical issues that might occur during an over dosage situation. Each reader should understand their own body and be prepared to do their own homework as to cautions and uses... we are merely starting you toward some herbs that could be useful. As a certified nutritional herbalist I know that herbs have both uses and limitations. I cannot, short of a one-on-one consultation, provide information that will address the medical problems of every reader of this forum. As the disclaimer says... this information is provided for educational purposes. Used in a discrete and educated manner, herbs are generally helpful to health. My discussion is limited to plant materials, oils and aromatherapy is another subject with even greated medical implications.

Doing a quick search this is what I found:

http://www.publix.com/wellness/notes/Displ...ldId=Peppermint

Peppermint

Are there any side effects or interactions?

Peppermint tea is generally considered safe for regular consumption. Peppermint oil can cause burning and gastrointestinal upset in some people. It should be avoided by people with chronic heartburn, severe liver damage, inflammation of the gallbladder, or obstruction of bile ducts. People with gallstones should consult a physician before using peppermint leaf or peppermint oil. Some people using enteric-coated peppermint capsules may experience a burning sensation in the rectum. Rare allergic reactions have been reported with topical use of peppermint oil. Peppermint oil should not be applied to the face—in particular, the nose—of children and infants. Peppermint tea should be used with caution in infants and young children, as they may choke in reaction to the strong menthol. Chamomile is usually a better choice for this group for treating colic and mild gastrointestinal complaints.

At the time of writing, there were no well-known drug interactions with peppermint.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have found that peppermint is used in candy and all kinds of toothpaste and many other products we use.

Mamacat is correct. I myself have numerous reactions to both allopathic (pharmaceutical prescriptions) and natural medicines (herbs, oils, aromatherapy and etc). We each need to take responsibility for our own decisions on what to use. It is the same for any post on these forums. They are strictly the opinion of those posting and intended for education purposes only. We need to be informed in order to make a decision but we also need to do our own research.

My Mom always told me that a day with out learning was a wasted day. I sure can't imagine how anyone can come to Mrs. S and go away without learning "something"

• 1 year later...

Archived