MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what will help swelling from a dog bite???

ashu12

There is a website that can help you evaluate if you need to call your Dr... http://www.webmd.com/hw/trauma_first_aid/hw99674.asp

I would be concerned if there is a chance of infection, it depends on how long since the child was bitten. that site allows you to answer some questions and then to decide from their recommendations if you need to confer with her DR. They generally say that dog bites can be treated with first aid at home but in the case of bruising and swelling, it depends on how long it has been swollen.

As someone who rescue strays I cannot encourage you enough to find that dog and make certain it is contained in someway for at least 2 weeks. If you have not already reported this to your animal control officer (or whomever is appropriate for your region) please do so.

Doxycyline or an appropriate "bite" related antibiotic should have been prescribed by a medical practicioner. My own experience with cat bites is that they take the better part of a week to go down and can be very painful in the process. A soak in cool, not cold, water may help ease the discomfort. Short of seeing the depth of the punture wounds I'd be cautious of putting anything in the water. If the wounds are still open and you are on well water, sterilize it by boiling it first, then cooling it down.

I have also been thinking so much of your DD. I am SO glad they found the dog and all is well. Will keep her in my prayers.

Archived