MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If you were President, what would you do to get U.S. prepared for BF?

kaseyb (Supermom!)

Many of us feel frustrated that our country and indeed, the entire world is vulnerable to infrastructure collapse if the Bird Flu goes human-to-human and becomes pandemic.

If you were in a very high position of power to do something about this, what actions would you personally take to help your country remain strong during such a catastrophe?

I, for one, would be very interested in hearing everyone's ideas on this.

Here's my brief, but incomplete response: What can a government really do outside of blowing a whistle and telling people to prepare. Our own government is doing this on a limited basis, but it is not giving specific time frames to be prepared for.

I was talking with my dh about this the other evening. Companies can try to prepare, but unless individuals are preparing for their own families (the foundational block of society) then the rest will fall.

That is what Dr. Osterholm is primarily concerned about it seems. Infrastructure collapse as a result of this flu. But everyone here on this board realizes this of course.

I do not believe there is a lot governments can do until individuals and families begin taking responsibility. But as we've seen with Katrina few people look at things that way anymore.

Clearly governments and companies along with some few individuals are growing concerned as time moves forward. Efforts are being made primarily in the form of increasing awareness and attempting to organize plans, but all this takes a great deal of time and resources.

Any specific ideas on what our government or other governments could be doing to minimize this catastrophe?

Pretend you are President for the next six months. What would you do?

I would go public with my own preparations for this possibility. I would want to have the experts on explaining how the breakdown could come about, what they can expect from local agencies if they work with them, and if they have enough healthy volunteers to do it. It is necessary for every one to know that it is imperative for each family to make their own plans using the local guidelines as they will differ according to location. If they know that the president and other are taking this seriously, so also will the rest of the country.

The same outcome could be accomplished by the governors of each state.

Hi Lois, I agree with you.

Additionally, I would make it very clear that the government is concerned about the possibilities of some problems in the US. I would add that no one knows for sure where any of this is going but that considering the natural disasters that have already occured and the possibilities of terrorism and other natural or man made events occuring it would be wise for everyone to make it their responsibility to be more prepared in the future. I would explain that the government is doing all it can to alleviate these problems but the people can help also. Then I would explain exactly why that help is needed. (Example: being prepared will alleviate panic and etc)

I would order advertisement much like was done after 9-11 which points to sites that give specific information about what could happen and how to be prepared for it. I realize that the Ready.Gov site was some what of a hurried up affair with a lot of fun being poked at the need for duct tape and plastic BUT, at least people became aware of the need to think about it. Our government has a Pandemicflu.com site. I would use that site to put information for preparation for the flu But I'd revamp the Ready.gov one to contain more information on general preps.

Then I'd go to the state and local level and encourage public talks and discussionon on just what each individual can do and how communities can work together for the good of all. I would train moderators in this information so that they can direct the discussions. These sessions would encourage group buying to save people money on stocking up and would include info on how to store and utilize those products. It would contain information on possibilities but would also contain info on how to avoid or be prepared for them. Not just the bird flu but oil shortages, stock market crashes, natural disasters and etc. I would encourage people to take a good look at their ancestors and borrow some of the techniques they used for survival.

Then I'd go to the schools and start programs that would teach the kids how to conserve our resources, how to become more self reliant and self sufficient. I'd include instructions on how to grow food, even in inner city areas and have each class practice doing just that. I'd have the program include information on the basics of food, water, and shelter. I'd push self reliance and self suffeciency. (

If I were President........ Don't get me started!

Let's get the experts on and tell the nation about bird flu and how it could wipe out half the people if they don't stock up. That should shock them into doing some preps.

Then let's tell them about the asteroids, volcanos, earthquakes, armageddon, oil bourse, WMD, Iran War, Syria War, floods, hurricanes, tornados, flooding, earth changes, pole switching, 2012, etc. That should get them to take heed.

Oh!, but we already do this, it's on the evening news every other night. The sheeple are oblivious to it.

When you corner someone about it, the usual excuses are spouted:

THEY'll look after us

It could never happen in England

If God leads me to it, He will lead me through it

If it's my time to go, there's nothing I can do

Fate

Ordained

Destiny

Gods will

(insert your favourite here)

A program with experts, government ministers and a studio audience was televised in the UK late last year and after an hours discussion on such disasters, people in the studio audience stated that they wanted more information on what to do.

A gov minister asked for a show of hands on who had recieved the government leaflet that went to almost every home in Britain a few months previous, www.preparingforemergencies.gov.uk/booklet/pdfs.shtm

90% of hands went up.

Then he asked who had actually read it.......

less than 20% of hands went up.

He shrugged and sat without further comment.

What's the point of giving out the information asked for if they won't read it.

If I were President....... I'd probably do exactly what the President does (but with more style of course).

Archived