MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

my dinner today

i was mad and in a horrible temper yesterday, so dinenr was a flop. i just cant cook when i am in a bad mood. but today i am fine, and tonights dinner made up for last nights flop. if i werent so stuffed, i would eat more! next time i think i will skip the bone bit and just buy boneless (if i can get a good price on it)

Another way you might wanna fry your chicken is with a coating of 1/2 bread crumbs/1/2 parmasian or romano mixture...

My kids love it and it really does give a great flavor to the chicken...I fry it in olive oil and sometimes I top it off with mozzarella cheese.

Boneless thighs go on sale quite a bit here and is cheap...we picked up some boneless breasts at $1.25 a pound over the weekend....if you want a great starter tomato sauce get a few cans of the HUNT'S thick and rich spaghetti sauce...roasted garlic and onion flavor....cost about a buck and on sale many times for 75-85 cents....one of the BEST canned sauces out there.

We like the "cheater" cans. We both work full time jobs and taking short cuts in cooking are a necessity of weekday life for us. I wish I had the luxury of being at home all day. Cavey was just trying to share some information that others might have appreciated.

i didnt mean for the term "cheater cans" to be condecending. the hunts cans are ok, but it just tastes better to make it myself. the glass jars are 5 dollars a jar here, i can buy both the diced tomatos(larger size can) and the tomato paste for under 2 dollars.

i have tried to make salsa many times, i am never happy with it. it never yastes bad, but it always seems something is mising. care to post youre recipe grubby?

It's my turn.....I don't have a recipe.

Chop some tomatoes, onions, jalapeno peppers add lime juice,

salt and cilantro.

I made a fruit salsa, it was alot more complicated. That

recipe is here in the kitchen forum someplace. I also

made that one up and everyone really likes it.

Grubby...if you want a great spaghetti sauce that will make people think you slaved over all day try the following...ready in about 30 min and tastes awesome.

1 tall can of Hunts thick and rich sauce (roasted garlic and onions is my fave.)

1 14 oz can of stewed tomatoes

1 5 oz can of tomato paste

1 lb. of ground beef or chicken (optional)

1 bay leaf

optional items

(onions, garlic, celery, thin slices carrots...introduced while browning the beef)

Brown the ground beef (sautee the optional items at that time if used) then drain the fat.

Add the rest of the ingredients except the tomato paste...bring to a very light boil then reduce heat to simmer for about 15 min or longer if you like....just before serving add the tomato paste...mix well and serve!

Guest Guest

You're right Pixie...they do have a different flavor to call their own....another good one for tomato dishes is tarragon but be warned....use a very small pinch as it's a strong one.

I don't use tarragon very often but here is some info.

Traditional Ethnic Uses

Tarragon is commonly known as a flavoring for vinegar and is used in pickles, relishes, prepared mustards, and sauces. Tarragon also goes well with fish, meat, soups and stews, and is often used in tomato and egg dishes. Tarragon adds distinctive flavor to sauces.

Taste and Aroma

Tarragon has a slightly bittersweet flavor and an aroma similar to anise.

A Few Ideas to Get You Started

Tarragon adds flavor to egg and cheese dishes, light soups and fresh fruits. To baste chicken, fish or seafood, blend Tarragon with butter, chives, and lemon.

Guest Guest

It's great for flavoring rice...put a pinch into the water before it boils and after it boils a minute or so then add the rice...you'll need to determine how much of it to use by experimenting.

Archived