MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Garlic & Tumeric Question

moonstar

Reading through my herbal books and found warnings on garlic and tumeric for people with clotting disorders. The garlic, it said to take 3-10 cloves a day to reduce likihood of internal blood clots. And the tumeric, also had an anti-clotting effect and those with clotting disorders shouldn't take at all unless it was under a physcians care because it could cause problems.

Also, herbal book mentioned that tumeric should not be given to children under the age of 2.

As "Critically Important Bird Flu Info From Biologist" recommended these two to likely help during severe pandemic to help prevent a cytokine storm, I thought this warning on garlic and tumeric should be looked at again. It recommended 2-3 garlic cloves per day and 500-4000mg. of tumeric.

Would the herbalist on this site comment on above, please.

Thanks.

Hopefully Mamacat, Lois and some others will jump in here with their opinions.

Please note, this is just my opinion, not a prescription nor even a suggestion.

First, Pixie, in my opinion, Turmeric is NOT bad for kids when used as a spice (barring allergies to it of course which is not usual)and in fact is beneficial. Turmeric has been used as a spice and a medicine for centuries with no ill effects. Curry powder, for instance usually contains turmeric. It is also used in thousands of prepared products as a coloring agent. So not giving it to kids is like saying don't give them mustard which often contains Turmeric.

Garlic, as you all know is famous for it's seasoning properties and likewise is not harmful to most people, adult or children alike.

So why are they now saying that you should not give these to people with clotting disorders, and not to children and etc etc. I won't even get into the financial debate about the drug companies not wanting people to buy herbs because then they won't buy their medicines and I won't get into the whole ball of wax about them wanting herbs to be regulated by just like medicines are and etc.

Mother, your right, the herbal book did say that if you have a blood-clotting problem, which would mean that they would be using pharmacutical drugs for that, to discuss taking tumeric with your doctor. Book also states that tumeric is on FDA list of herbs generally regarded as safe. Just trying to get all the info sorted out. I'm all for herbs. Some I know about, some I don't know much about except for what I read. Thank you for your input. Pixie, I didn't mean to cause undue concern for you. I'll go away now.

Quote:
Mother, your right, the herbal book did say that if you have a blood-clotting problem, which would mean that they would be using pharmacutical drugs for that, to discuss taking tumeric with your doctor. Book also states that tumeric is on FDA list of herbs generally regarded as safe. Just trying to get all the info sorted out. I'm all for herbs. Some I know about, some I don't know much about except for what I read. Thank you for your input. Pixie, I didn't mean to cause undue concern for you. I'll go away now.

Mother i understand the about the drug companies... the thing that gets me about it all is they want you to take such and such a med for this or that with what side effect??!!!?? which is sometimes worst then the illness. and in some cases could lead to something else that needs to be treated... now there is a time and a place for doctors and meds... i do go see mine once a year and at times when i can't seem to get rid of something ... and he will fine out what it is for me and write me a scrip, which i will take home with me and look up al i can on what it is and then go after my herbs first... only once have i had to get the scrip filled. and then i only took half doseage... dear dr. knows i do this stuff to.

now as what i have plan for the flu... remember i am not educated in herbs and such... but this what we have for myself and family.. barley for soups and broth, blackberry wine, the stuff to make up the rehydrion drink from the book where theres no doctor,yarrow, tea tree oil, tylenol, mint teas, applesauce, carrot juice, vit. C;horehound; rice. seems like i am forgetting something... but can't think what it is...

Archived