MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning jars

I can't find the post (on slow mode here today) of who it was saying they couldn't find canning jars...

I haunt hardware stores... .and they've ALL (in our small town) got canning jars - they just haven't put them out on the shelves yet. I asked at True Value, Ace and a non-chain store and they all told me they had them in the back.

You might just call and ask around, even if it's just a case per store you'll be ahead of the game.

Happy hunting.

Guest Guest

We have cheapy stores like "Dollar General" and "Family Dollar" that sell canning jars in the summer. (Not the everything-for-a-dollar store.) Some are so anxious to please that they'll ORDER a case just to sell them to *YOU*!!! (Ask if you can get a whole-case discount!! )

I haven't had any trouble with using those jars, either. I forget the name but they have fruit on the box.

And don't forget to check out the Salvation Army stores and Goodwill! If they know you're looking for them, they'll bunch them in boxes for you ahead of time!!

I can't find the post (on slow mode here today) of who it was saying they couldn't find canning jars...

I haunt hardware stores... .and they've ALL (in our small town) got canning jars - they just haven't put them out on the shelves yet. I asked at True Value, Ace and a non-chain store and they all told me they had them in the back.

You might just call and ask around, even if it's just a case per store you'll be ahead of the game.

Happy hunting.

It was me.

I called our hardware store, an Ace type place. They are

in the middle of changing owners and he said it might be

up to a month or so before they got everything staighten

out. He told me to call back then.

Our Dollar General only sets out 5 or so boxes. I'll call

them and see if I can order some. Thanks Cat.

I even have my Dad on the look out. I told him if he sees

any jars out while they are out shopping to pick me up a

box or two.

I'm learly about using used jars,like from Goodwill and all.

How do I know if they have cracks in them? Are they safe?

Guest Guest

Used jars are no problem, especially if they are "name brand".

Usually any cracked jars are taken out by the workers, but before you buy any, check them over, and run your finger around the jar rim to be sure there aren't any tiny chips.

Of course you sterilize any jar before canning, by boiling.

Guest Guest

When I first started canning- okay the second time I first started canning - back in early '99, I bought a ton of used jars from;

yardsales

ads in the paper

word of mouth

Goodwill

Back then, I could get used jars for 25 cents each. I'm still using those jars! I think I porbably bought a couple hundred used ones. I got a dud once in a while if I bought a big boxful but, I just made candles with them.

It's glass... it either chips or breaks, or it doesn't. I just run them through the dishwasher on potscrubber with an extra heavy rinse cycle. When I'm canning, I run them through a couple of times, and do a heated rinse & hold- that's how I sterilize them.

I haven't had a problem yet...

I pick up alot of used jars at garage sales. You can get them really cheap if they have ALOT. My DM and I stopped at one garage sale and this lady had 18 boxes of jars. She had them marked $2-$3. We asked her if she'd take $1 a box if we took all of them. $18-18 boxes. We got over 250 jars.

Check with older people who have quit canning. Sometimes you can even get canners and other equipment really cheap. And sometimes they have jars on shelves in their basements that have been there for years. This is more work, but usually they'll give them to you for taking them. I had one guy have me clean out his basement last summer. It took me two trips with the truck to empty it out! Then hours of dumping jays-I think I had 12-5gal. buckets full (compost). Then I had to load them back in the truck and take them into work to run through the commercial dishwasher. But, boy, was it worth it! Over 700 jars (and I had to throw away 3 boxes full that I couldn't get the rings and lids off). I have 2 more guys that want me to 'clean out' their basements, have to be sneaky about it though, cuz DBF says NO MORE JARS! (Like that's gonna do him any good ) :D

I see jars at our Wal-Mart all the time. Also, I have seen them at Albertson's. I have looked at the thrift stores and they are just as much as buying new. And the new ones have rings and lids.

Archived