MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

L ~Canning 101 - Apple Butter

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Ok ladies, we're gonna start something new here...we're gonna take a new item, week by week, and go from start to finish with our canning. We will start on Monday, which will give everyone a little time to get prepared ahead of time.

Starting this Monday, 4/17/06, we will be making Apple Butter. You don't need a pressure canner to make apple butter, a water bath canner works just fine. I'll share my recipes, I'll talk about how *I* make it, and everyone is invited and encouraged to jump in and share their recipes and/or tips and tricks too!

Ok, soooooooooooooo, what you'll need is 9 quarts of apple sauce (either homemade or store bought), sugar, cinnamon (some people like allspice and/or cloves in their apple butter but I do not), either pint or 1/2 pint canning jars with lids and a crockpot!

So, for whoever is interested, you have a few days to get ready...on Monday we're gonna start!

Guest Guest

If you don't want to spend the money on a water bath canner.. then improvise!

Use a stock pot and a lid! now if you happen to have a little round pie cooling rack that will fit in the bottom lucky you!!!

if not... then use canning rings on the bottom of the pot.

I tried a folded towel but it always bubbles up and knocked my jars over.

the jars shound NOT be placed on the bottom of the pan directly, we don't want to crack the glass jars and water should be able to flow around the jars.

So there you have it.. a water bath canner!

check this one out..

http://paulnoll.com/Oregon/Canning/relish-step-12.html

http://www.canningpantry.com/usbowaca.html

Guest Guest

I think a jar lifter is a must have...

http://www.canningpantry.com/284.html

wal-mart carries them a little cheaper.

if you just can't find one.. then you can ladle the water out and use a pot holder or towel to lift the jars out. A bit more work and the towel does get wet and hot!

A lid lifter I also think is important..

http://www.canningpantry.com/174.html

again cheaper at Wal-Mart! but the problem with these little things is the darn magnet always falls out as soon as the glue melts in the hot water! so you fish the thing back in and lift the lid out. Now if you can't find one.. use a small strainer or something you can put the lids in and then able to lift it out without having to stick anything down in the hot water to fish them out...like your hand!

a Funnel... I think this is a must have! and I happen to prefer stainless steel. The one I have has a screen that is removable.

http://www.canningpantry.com/stainless-steel-funnel.html

now there is a plastic one...

http://www.canningpantry.com/canning-funnel.html

of course there is always a large spoon or soup ladle you can use but the funnel sure makes things easier.

I just got a jar lifter about 5 yrs ago..before that...dipped water into a pan til I could get ahold of a jar and then as you take jars out the water level goes down.

I use`a fork to lift lids out of a small, shallow pan. The lid fits right between the tines and it's fairly simple to place on the jar.

I have a large metal (aluminum, I think) funnel for lg mouth jars and a small glass funnel for sm mouth. Don't like the plastic, either, as they stain.

Just thought I'd mention a few options if ya don't have the proper equipment. But like Westie said-it does make things easier.

Guest Guest

If you have old apple sauce in your pantry this is a great way to reprocess that apple sauce!

I will be using fresh apples and doing it the old fashioned way. It takes more work..but, a true princess .. oh wait, that is another thread!

Guest Guest

Apple butter

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Apple butter is a highly concentrated form of applesauce, produced by long, slow cooking of apples with cider or water to a point where the sugar in the apples caramelizes. The concentration of sugar gives apple butter a much longer shelf life as a preserve than applesauce. It was a popular way of using apples in colonial America, and well into the 19th century. The term "butter" refers to the thick, soft consistency, and its use as a spread for breads. Typically seasoned with cinnamon, cloves, and other spices, apple butter may be used as a side dish, an ingredient in baked goods, or as a condiment. The Pennsylvania Dutch often include it as part of their traditional seven sweets and seven sours dinner table array.

In areas of the American South, the production of apple butter is a family event, due to the large amount of labor necessary to produce apple butter in large quantities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_butter

Guest Guest

ummmmm...

I had originally intended on us starting this on Monday but when the site went down most the day, it threw everything off...

Lemme regroup with all this...I'm trying to figure out how best this will work with everyone.

Guest Guest

Just to let everyone know, I've suspended this apple butter till I'm off this diet...it's not so much concerns about eating it or being tempted as it is that this diet has my energy level WAY down.

Welllllllllll... Here I am with my pressure canner, I purchased a water bath canner, jars, and 20 pounds of apples... So, is there anyone else that can do this thread so they don't all go to waste? (If I eat another apple, I am going to... well let's not go there.) lol I can understand not wanting to be tempted tho...

Guest Guest

Ouch...sorry Rita...now I feel bad...

Ok, get your apples out...my first question is...

Do you know how to make homemade applesauce from your apples?

Lemme know and we'll go from there...I'm kinda glad you posted cause just thinking about applebutter right now has me craving it.

Guest Guest

I have actually heard the "It's too nice today.. think I will go out and sunbathe for a bit" excuse!

excuses, unbecoming of a princess!

Guest Guest

YOU didn't do anything wrong Rita...not at all...I just feel bad and it's not right that you were a good little princess in training and had your apples all ready and I skip town on ya lol...

I'll get ya all the info tomorrow morning, and don't worry about your apples...they're BETTER when they're older!

• 2 weeks later...

Wellllllll...this good little princess gave my apples to my goats this morning... old apples might be better, but I don't think that I was supposed to have mush in a skin before I even started....lol Oh well, I will buy some more when you are ready to do it. lol

Archived