MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning question

Guest Guest

grubby you have 2 canners???

so now you can do double the canning! if your older one doesn't have a rack inside, you can aleays use canning rings set on the bottom.

Guest Guest

arklatex, first of all, welcome to MrsS!

Second of all, in answer to your question, I make my own sausage, including Polish Kielbasa. I don't do the smoked Kielbasa, but I do make the fresh.

It is possible to can fresh sausage. The instructions in the Blue Ball canning book state:

Make sausage and shape into patties or 3-4" links. Cook until lightly browned and drain. Pack hot sausage into hot jars, leaving 1" headspace. Ladle hot broth over sausage, leaving 1" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2 piece caps. Process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes at 20lbs pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

Note: do not use sage to season sausage as it may become bitter.

When I make my fresh kielbasa it has no sage in it so that's not a concern. My breakfast sausage has sage in it, so I wouldn't try to can that, I just fry patties up and freeze them and then heat up later in the toaster oven. For my italian sausage, there is no sage, so that is a piece of cake too.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Guest Guest

lol You sound like me...I fill the freezers up and then can't buy anything else until I get the meat processed in canning.

I *had* a little room in one freezer but I think I maxed it out with chicken breasts I bought yesterday (I don't know for sure cause I had my son put it in the freezer).

• 3 years later...

Hello-

Just to double check - meat, including store bought kielbasa can be canned.

- sourkraut can be canned

- potatoes can be canned

SO...

does this mean I can cook up combined kielbasa, sourkraut and potatoes, like I feed to my family and pressure can it? And if I can, how do I do it?

Sorry, no.

Also, that is fresh sausage, not the kielbasa. When it says to remove from the casings, that is fresh, link sausages, not smoked ones. You will often find that those kinds of sausages, and hot dogs, contain dried milk powder, etc. Things not safe to can.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html

You would can the sauerkraut in the BWB. The potatoes in the pressure canner. And the sausage like that should be frozen.

Archived