MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bird Flu could cripple internet

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/40631-1.html

Avian flu could cripple telecom services, Internet

05/01/06 -- 02:25 PM

By Ethan Butterfield,

Results of a recent influenza pandemic outbreak simulation show that telecommunications systems could be overwhelmed, and the Internet could shut down within two to four days of an outbreak.

The results> of a simulation conducted by Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. of McLean, Va., and the World Economic Forum, found that an outbreak of avian flu would severely challenge the ability of governments and the private sector to manage essential services and communicate crucial information.

Because telecommuting will not be a viable option, public and private organizations will need to establish partnerships that would enable them to coordinate a plan for the use of alternative communications channels, Booz Allen said in a debriefing statement.

“Governments and business organizations need to work together to improve their ability to manage a possible avian flu pandemic,” said Heather Burns, a senior vice president of Booz Allen. “The time to start preparing is now.”

In the simulation, a hypothetical pandemic originates in Eastern Europe and spreads to Germany, where it rapidly spreads through much of Europe. As a result, everyday life practically grinds to a halt, Booz Allen said in a statement.

Ethan Butterfield is a staff writer for Government Computer News’ sister publication, Washington Technology.

© 1996-2006 Post-Newsweek Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Considering that my server can't seem to keep up with the small amount of people who have service with them in my small community (they were down AGAIN last night ALL night)I can't see them even remotely beginning to keep anything up and running if the pandemic hits. On any given Saturday or Sunday you can't get on for an hour or more because of volume of traffic. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be able to join you wonderful ladies often if it does hit.

Thanks for the motivation, Darlene. I've been thinking I should start printing out a lot of this great info, and keep putting it off. Now, will try and start printing off a little a day (poor old printer can only handle so much work at a time-lol). I did print off that one link from westie that was 51?pages long. So, it's a start.

I have been starting to print stuff too, in case this happens! Just having my computer down for 1 1/2 weeks showed me how desperately I rely on it. So, I will be printing away....especially from this site!

Guest Guest

A little off topic- sorry...

The reason I still have almost all of my pre-y2k information is because I printed everything and put it in 3 inch thick, 3 ring binders. A decent 3 space hole punch is only about $4.00. The first binder was for technical stuff.

I used a second 3 inch binder for food related stuff and recipes. I also used dividers to seperate the sections. A third for medical, and a fourth for emergency information.

You can get binders at office supply stores for a good price, as long as you don't opt for all the bells and whistles. I only pay about a dollar for the 1 inch binders, and maybe $4 for the 3 inch. I also get different color binders for different things...

red= emergency

green= food

blue= medical

black= building, technical

It seems a little complicated but, if you start now, everyone will get used to seeing them and knowing the contents at a glance.

Sorry to hijack this thread. I think I'm going to go post this in 'Are You Really Ready?'

Archived