MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello! New here

Misty

Hi everyone! I've been lurking here for a couple of months and finally decided to join. I don't know what took me so long. Maybe it's the recent bird flu news. Anyway, I live in the South and having gone through Hurricane Katrina I planned to be super prepared for hurricane season this year which is how I found this site. I am prepared for approximately three months on canned goods, about a month of water (although I have the purification tablets too so maybe a little longer), and am working on all of the other stuff. I just wanted to say hello and I'm glad to be a part of the board finally!

Guest Guest

Welcome leigh! We're glad you came outta lurking status and joined on it...you'll have an absolute blast, and you'll learn tons along with the rest of us, as we continue on this journey of being prepared.

I'm sorry you had to go through Katrina, I only caught it here as a Cat 1, but I over understand what you've been going through...I went through the same thing in 1992 with Hurricane Andrew as a Cat 5. It sounds like you're off to a solid start with your preps so I'm really excited for ya! Feel free to jump right in and if you ever need a thing, just let us know!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I learned a lot about myself during Katrina. We've bought a generator since then and I've been buying canned comfort foods as much as possible because the little things mean a lot in that kind of situation. We were mainly inconvienced and did have damage to our house, but probably not as bad as you did with Andrew. We live about 100 miles inland and our coast is devastated. We were down there two weeks ago and it doesn't look all that much better. So sad, but they are rebuilding.

Guest Guest

Leigh,

we have another member here that lived through Katrina.. lost everything.. she lives in Mississippi about 60 miles inland.

Rita.. where are you????

nice to meet you.. it is by far more fun to participate then lurk!

Welcome!

Ya'll are too funny! I'm thinking I might have been able to catch that banana creme pie in my mouth before it hit anybody's blonde hair. Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome. You'll be seeing a lot more of me. Don't run!

Welcome to the group. I'm glad you came out of lurkdom. It's so much more fun being vocal around here. It also helps to be a little on the crazy side, which I'm sure you've already figured that out.

Welcome to the group!!! I sent you a PM yesterday. I live just north of Hattiesburg here in Mississippi, so I know what you mean regarding Katrina. She took the home we were building. I tell you, cleaning up/rebuilding is really slow, and it is frustrating when it took such a short time to destroy. I look forward to chatting with you and to your posts.

Oh no Rita! You had way more damage from Katrina than me then. We had to have most of our roof replaced (we'd only been here about 1 1/2 years when she hit), replace both sets of french doors, lost lots of siding, had a few split porch posts from flying tin from my DF's chicken houses, damage to our wood floor, and other stuff but who didn't have at least some damage? At least we didn't have any trees to fall on the house! Again, soooo sorry to hear about losing your new house.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived