MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

TEOTWAWKI Reality Check Test

Mother

The scene is this:

!!!The world has gone crazy or at least your part of the world. For some time the rising oil prices have caused all transportation and heating costs to be almost unattainable for most people. (Does this sound familiar?) The stock market had been climbing by leaps and bounds but suddenly has cashed due to rumors of economic unrest and war around the globe.( Does this resemble what we've been hearing lately?) Even if you don't have interests in the stock market, you suddenly find your bank closed and your funds are unattainable. Businesses are folding daily and people out of work, perhaps even yourself or a loved one. The prices of gas, food, supplies, medicine and almost all goods have gone out of sight and what you can afford is now in scarce supply. On top of that, now the threat of avian Influenza has become a reality. People are falling ill by huge numbers, hospitals are overflowing, schools are closed, hungry rioters are starting to amass in the streets and now the electricity has gone off and you have just heard that it will not be on for many months to come, if at all. The National Guard has been called out but there are not enough of them to handle the chaos; Society, as we know it, has totally broken down!!!

What over the counter or prescription medicines do you have on hand? Do you have a sick room plan? What supplies do you have for the sick room? This would be a very trying time for all of us. Talk about your ability to take care of an ill family member. Share your worries and fears about your ability to withstand the workload and stress that will come with this situation. What suggestions do you have for others?

As stated previous-this is an area that I need to work on. Have some otc meds and some prescription, but probably not enough without learning more herbal remedies. Which I also need to work on.

I could set up a simple sick room, but would be nowhere near as stocked as some.

As far as my ability and fears of caring for the sick and the workload and stress. This is not something I worry about. I do get stressed-I do have panic attacks. These are things that I deal with. It hasn't killed me yet. As far as the workload-Well, DM came up with this HUGE poster for my DGF 80th B'day: "You might be a relative if...." One of her *if's* was...."if you work 7 days a week, because you LIKE to". That's me.

We have been trying to get at least a months supply of all our prescriptions on hand, but it isn't all that easy when your insurance won't allow you to get more than what your prescriptions is for. The ones I am most concerned about is for our diabetes, Old Pine's heart medications and my pepcid. If we can't get what we need for our cholesterol lowering medications, we will have to try and get by without them.

Mamacat, you have brought up one thing that no one likes to think about or deal with, but, if the time comes, I think that we are all more able to deal with it than what we think we are. Things wouldn't be easy, but when you are forced to deal with things, you deal with them. I am not sure just how we whould do it, but God will have to help me and show me what to do. I guess that is the best answer I have for right now. You just have to make sure you don't come in contact with anything that you shouldn't. You should have plastic bags of all sizes around and tape. I don't know what else to say.

If there is any reason to believe they died from something contagious, you should wear rubber or plastic gloves and protective clothing, and bury them as quickly as possible, or at least get them away from the family.

The loss of another person is not an acceptable risk.

Archived