MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Update on 4 nurses in Indonesia by WHO

twilap

Avian influenza – situation in Indonesia – update 17

6 June 2006

For the past four days, Indonesian health authorities and WHO have been monitoring cases of influenza-like illness in four nurses who were involved in the care of confirmed H5N1 patients.

Test results have now convincingly ruled out H5N1 infection in all four nurses.

Two of the nurses cared for siblings, a 10-year-old girl and her 18-year-old brother, who were hospitalized in Bandung, West Java, on 22 May and died the following day. Test results for both nurses are negative for H5N1 infection. One nurse was shown to be infected with a seasonal influenza A (H1N1) virus, which is now circulating widely throughout Indonesia. The second nurse experienced only mild and transient symptoms, but was tested urgently as a precautionary measure. Her test results were also negative for H5N1 infection.

The two additional nurses, who work at a hospital in Medan, North Sumatra, were involved in the care of confirmed H5N1 cases among members of an extended family from the village of Kubu Simbelang in Karo District. One of the nurses, a 34-year-old woman, experienced only mild symptoms and has subsequently tested negative for H5N1 infection. The second nurse, a 42-year-old woman, developed influenza-like illness on 1 June. Test results received today are also negative for H5N1 infection.

The speed and thoroughness with which influenza-like illness in these nurses was investigated are indicative of the heightened concern among Indonesian health authorities. The negative test results for all four nurses provide reassuring evidence that the virus is not spreading efficiently or sustainably among humans at present.

I'm glad that they all tested negative for H5N1 but I'm also a bit concerned about the information that a common virus, H1N1 is "widely circulating" in Indonesia. There is that distinct possibility that both could be found in the same individual (also pigs) and it could facilitate mutation.

Lets pray that WHO is watching for this.

I was also concerned about the mention of "widely circulating" seasonal flu. I read somewhere that that could be the situation which would allow the H5N1 to become more effective at H2H transmission; a person with the regular flu H1N1 gets exposed to the H5N1, the two strains of virii exchange DNA, and the mutation occurs. Let's hope WHO is really monitoring the whole situation in Indonesia closely.

Guest Guest

Mother, H1N1 is a version of bird flu that has already gone 'round the world, many times over, if I remember correctly. I think it actually started in either 1957 or 1968. It is now viewed as a 'common' type of flu, and one to which you probably already have some immunity.

You may have even had it a time or two. This is not one that should seriously concern you.

This is, after all, their normal flu season.

Guest Guest

I dont remember hearing that 4 nurses were being tested/had symtoms? I heard of 1. How special of TPTB to withold that 4 nurses were suspect instead of 1.

I wasn't worried about the H1H1 flu striking us here. You are correct in that many of us may already have some ammunity to that. It's strange that I don't remember the 1957 flu nor the 196? flu that was supposed to be a mild pandemic. I was already married by 1961 so you would think I would have noticed it. My mom did and said a lot of people were sick but no one was in any panic about it other than to try to stay away from people who were sick.

I have to be honest and say that I'd not be surprised if a pandemic (or other disaster) would come from a completely unheard of source or virus.

Guest Guest

I was too young to remember the '57 flu, but I surely remember the one in '68! It was the one & only flu shot I've ever had, and it dang near killed me! The shot gave me the flu!

My doc swears that they don't use live vaccine anymore, and that you can't get the flu from a flu shot but, I still refuse, and she finally gave up trying to convince me.

Funny, every time I refuse something with her, later they announce a major problem with it!

Quote:
I was too young to remember the '57 flu, but I surely remember the one in '68! It was the one & only flu shot I've ever had, and it dang near killed me! The shot gave me the flu!

My doc swears that they don't use live vaccine anymore, and that you can't get the flu from a flu shot but, I still refuse, and she finally gave up trying to convince me.

Funny, every time I refuse something with her, later they announce a major problem with it!

I am the same way. I got the flu shot twice.....the first time I got the flu and I thought it was a fluke....then I got it the next year and the same thing happened! No way will I get it anymore. My dad and a friend of mine have the same thing happen to them.

My mom gets the flu shot every year and every year she has a terrific case of the FLU. I got one years ago too and got so sick I would NOT take another one. So far, I've not had the flu for many years but then I'm very careful about washing hands, washing hands and washing hands. And I tend to stay away from people during flu season too. Good practice for what might come I guess. )

Archived