MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Zucchini

Have you ever planted just a couple zucchini plants and figured: "There, that ought to be just enough for some fried zucchini, some bread and a few casseroles."...and next thing you know you have the things going wild? Friends and family run screaming cuz the crazy zucchini guru is pulling up with another trunk full (with a loaded trailer in tow)? Can't give the things away?

Here's what to do...

Canned Zucchini

shredded zucchini

salt

Pack zucchini into jars. 1/2 tsp. salt in pints, 1 tsp. salt in qts. Fill with boiling water. Seal. Process in pressure canner. (I do mine: qts=10 lb. for 30 min, pts=10 lb. for 20 min). My zucchini bread recipe calls for 4 cups of zucchini, so I can mine in qts. To use, just drain very well.

Zucchini can be substituded for cucumbers in any 'pickles' or relish recipe. Also to make zucchini sauerkraut.(My favorite canning cookbook is packed right now, but if I can find it I'll post some.)

Anybody have any other favorite ways to use this always overabundant vege?

Guest Guest
Quote:
zuke chips, diced/dried in soups later on.
Please elaborate. Im assuming taht your dyhdrating them? How to they reconstitute?

Well, I didn't find MY cookbook, but I borrowed DM's. Same cookbook, but hers doesn't have MY notes in it. So bare with me, this WILL make sense. Promise.

Golden Cucumber Relish

12 large ripe cucumbers

12 onions

3/4 c. salt

2 large bunches celery, diced

6 large sweet red peppers, diced

1 qt. vinegar

4 c. sugar

2 tbsp. mustard seeds

-Peel cucumbers, scoop out and discard seeds and centers; dice pulp into 1/4" cubes. Dice peeled onions in cubes of same size. Add the salt, mix well, cover and let stand 10-12 hours. Then place in a white cloth and let drain until quite dry.

-Dice celery and peppers in 1/4" cubes.

-Combine vinegar, sugar and mustard seeds in large enameled kettle, add the four vegetables and cook over low heat until the mixture is thick and the diced cucumbers are golden in color.

-Ladle into hot, sterilized jars; seal at once. Makes 6 pints.

Ok-now:

-I use zucchini instead of pickles. And I've used cabbage instead of the celery. I use green or red peppers-whatever's ready in the garden.

-I use my food processor to chop everything. Where it says to use a white cloth to drain, I use my colander.

-Where it says 'golden in color'--well, using zucchini, it will be GREEN.

-Process in BWB for 15 min.

Guest Guest

I have frozen zucchini & dehydrated zucchini but never canned it. I don't know why I never thought about it.

I have used it in relish recipes, but also never thought about using it to make sour kraut with.

As far as dehydrated zucchini, it is very strong. A little dried zucchini goes a long way - and make sure you peel it first. If you leave the skins on, the skin tends to get bitter tasting when dehydrated. We use dried zucchini in soups & stews. I haven't tried drying shredded zucchini for using in bread later, but I don't know why you couldn't.

• 9 months later...

Archived