MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cat's Jellies

Cat

If you have failed apple jelly, or another mild-flavored jelly, you might want to try adding red hots candy to it and see if you can *save* it!

Cat, thanks so much for these recipes! After my pumpkin butter success yesterday I'm on a roll and ready to begin the next project. Can you add red hots to any apple jelly recipe? Just stir in 1/2 lb? Would you reduce the amount of sugar?

Oh, I can imagine a jar of the red Cinnamon Jelly and the green Pepper Jelly in a pretty Christmas gift basket. I love Pepper Jelly so much it would be hard to give any of it away. LOL

How do you grind your peppers? Can it be done in a blender?

These recipes are great. Thanks!

The first cinnamon jelly recipe I got is this one. But I've seen others that use apple juice to begin with. Like this one:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Candy Apple Jelly

4 cups apple juice

1/2 cup red-hot candies

1 (1 3/4 ounce) package fruit pectin

4 1/2 cups sugar

Combine juice, candy and pectin in a large pot. Bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to a full boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam and unmelted candy. Pour hot liquid into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in boiling water bath. Makes 3 pints (6 cups).

http://www.recipezaar.com/22263

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So you can see how this one goes.

I did my peppers in a blender, but you can't add water or it might affect the recipe. A food processor might be better.

I think I just "liquified" a bunch of peppers (sweet & hot separately) at once and measured it out. Leftovers went into the freezer until I needed it in something else.

And Christmas is when I give this away... it's SO pretty!

Archived