MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning jar question

Glynn

The jars that Classico and Bertolli pasta sauces come in LOOK like canning jars. Are they? The Classico jar is imprinted with "Atlas Mason" on the side. The Bertolli jar is imprinted with "Mason 1865." I've been to their websites but I didn't see any information on this subject there.

I will definitely not use these for canning unless someone assures me they are A-okay. The jars are great, though, for storing dried foods, rice and beans.

I wouldn't use any jar other than the ones made just for that purpose. They may look like a canning jar, the lids and rings may fit, but they are not made for canning. Canning jars are made to withstand the intense heat of a pressure canner. It just wouldn't be worth it to do all that work of putting your food up only to have the jars break during canning, or not seal, or worse yet to risk food poisoning because the seal lets go during storage. Some of those jars may work fine, but I just wouldn't want to risk it.

Kaye

i use them to boil bath fruit and pickles in. But only after I make sure the canning lids fit correctly. Some jars the ring is just a bit too loose on.

People have been doing this for years. I have mayo jars my mother canned in when I was a kid.

Just no pressure canning with them. i don't know if they would break, but I don't want to find out either.

As a matter of course, I use nothing but real canning jars when I can, but veggiecanner's suggestion may have some merit.

Using those jars, that will fit the normal canning jar lids, in water bath processes alone, might be feasible. I agree however, that I would never attempt to use any non-canning jar in the pressure can under pressure.

Well I found a deal Sunday, had to go out and on the way back I saw a sign Canning Jars well you know I just had to turn around and go check them out He had 4 1/2 cases of pints for $4 and 3 1/2 case for $3 a case because they were the mayo jars. I do can with them for my hot water bath canning they are fine but never in the pressure canner veggie canner is right its fine for the hot water bath stuff, like pickles tomato juice or anything you don't pressure can. Have done it ever since I started canning. Sis told me that if I bring home another canning jar she will disown me. I can't see spending 7.99 as case for pints when I can get them for 4. Don't make sence to me. I have to get the Idea that she in not into canning like Iam.

Archived