MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

spice shelf life

I've been clearing and updating my pantry and came across a question...does anyone know what the usual shelf life of dried spices and herbs is? I know it's a dumb question, but could you give me some rough ideas?

Thanks

Spices and herbs do not spoil, but they will lose their strength over time. Older seasonings will not flavor your meals the way they are intended to...the flavor will be less intense.

There are a few ways to figure out whether spices and herbs are fresh...by their appearance, smell, and taste. Visually, you can check your spices and herbs to make sure that their color has not faded. Loss of color is an indication of flavor loss. A fragrant, intense aroma is characteristic of fresh spices and herbs. You can crush the spices and herbs in your hand and smell the aroma. You can also taste them and if the flavor is not apparent, it's time to replace your spices and herbs.

Generally though, optimum flavor is retained for about 2 years...after that, it starts to loose a little of it's flavor but is still usable.

Thank you Darlene,

I appreciate the info. I know some people out here probably rolled their eyes at that, but I really didn't know and felt safer asking here.(If I'm going to embarrass myself, I'd rather do it out here with you folks.)

Thanks again buddy...as you can guess, this will probably not be my last ditzy question

Well, as they say chica, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

You'd be surprised at the number of people that are learning right along side us, that never say a word (they're kinda shy like me lol) but have the same questions as you and I.

((((CJ))))

Herbs and Spices hold their flavoring strength longer if kept whole and ground as needed.

I purchase in 1 pound packages, vacuum seal in 2-4 ounce packages and kept in a cool dark place.

Archived